Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

British jazz musicians survey

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: British jazz musicians survey
    Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 3:10am
focussing on finances and whether or not these make a difference to the scene.
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 10:59am
Not surprising results (I doubt there are many places where jazz musos can be happy of the infrastructures around their choice of music endeavours) except for one point... SUBSIDIES...
the public subsidization of oeuvres in the late 60's and 70's was fairly frequent (I don't know if it is still the case today, though)

Guys like Gibbs, Garrick, Ardley, Collier, Wesbrook and maybe Dankworth were all commissioned to write and present oeuvres raging from progressive big band...

The musicians' unions were quite strong back then
- They stopped a lot US star musicians from touring around with theor own backing bands, ad if they were still coming they had to use British musicians (this is how Jimmy Page met Willie Dixon).
- They also made it relatively difficult for mellotrons to find a market at first, because it was taking a lot of work away from symphonic orchestras
- they also lobbied the labour gov't of the era for subsidies to create a jazz musical scene, playing their own creations

Most likely, like a lot of unions, they lost a lot of power when Bitch Tatcher came to power and crushed a lot of strikes (mining unions, first... but others as well)... Most UK residents say that the only union that still has some biting teeth is the teacher's unions

Sooooooo, if it wasn't for those subsidies, the London Jazz scene might have been non-existant back then... (but that was 40 years ago)

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic