JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - National Recording Registry - What would you add?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

National Recording Registry - What would you add?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: National Recording Registry - What would you add?
    Posted: 10 May 2012 at 10:29am
And I'd add The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady perhaps even in place of 'Ah-Um'
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 12:55am
This is tough:

Monk's Dream? (or the Toyko concert?) - or something earlier of his, wish I knew more of his stuff
Empyrean Isles - Herbie

and I'd second BB and A Love Supreme

Reviews...
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 5:13pm
Like John,  Louis Armstrong Hot Fives and Sevens, plus the "WC Handy" and "Satch Plays Fats" albums

Jelly Roll Morton. the recordings that were done in between 1926-1928 with basically the line-up for Louis Armstrongs Hot Five and Sevens behind him..well Kid Ory and Billy St Cyr, Barney Bigard from Ellington's band and Louis' All Stars ,played in one recording session with Jelly Roll. Johnny Dodds was in another. Songs, all of them but I suppose "The Pearls" will always be his best remembered. Band name was Jelly Roll Morton's Red Hot Peppers. There are some after this date but the band was not these gentlemen but a rather crappy mob that Jelly Roll put together.

All the early Ellington material with "East St Louis Toodle-Oo" still capturing that time back then superbly.

Billy Hoilday all the first Columbia recordings...........the lot. "I Cover The Waterfront", "God Bless The Child". I could fill this page with them.

Count Basie, again early material. "One O'Clock Jump"

I could go on for days and days, even years but two more that I will mention is

Coleman Hawkins....." Body And Soul"

The Savoy, Charlie Parker recordings. The lot.

Matt
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 12:11pm
Ornette Coleman - "Free Jazz" and "The Shape of Jazz To Come"
Miles Davis - "In A Silent Way" and "Bitches Brew".
John Coltrane - "A Love Supreme"
The Quintet - "Live At Massey Hall"
Return to Forever - "Romantic Warrior"
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 7:30am
I have a review up for "Study in Frustration". 
My list needs an Ellington album and it would be complete, I just wasn't sure which one to go with.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 6:48am
Ah, of course - 'Free Jazz'

And Fletcher Henderson, just checked him out, sold songs to Goodman, that's interesting
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 6:28am
Ornette Coleman "Free Jazz"
Charlie Parker "Live at Massey Hall"
"Louie Armstrong and the Hot Five"
Fletcher Henderson "A Study in Frustration"
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 6:07am
You'll all no doubt notice how big a role 1959 plays in this collection
Reviews...
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 6:06am
So, what would you add, according to the criteria below? Some background is included on this US initiative, along with the jazz albums I saw there at first glance. I may have missed one or two.

(& if you like - why not make a bit of a list for your country too)

Background from wiki

The legislative intent of the National Recording Preservation Act of 2000 was to develop a national program to guard America's sound recording heritage. The Act resulted in the formations of the National Recording Registry. The legislative intent of the National Recording Preservation Act of 2000 was to develop a national program to guard America's sound recording heritage. The Act resulted in the formations of the National Recording Registry.

Beginning in 2002, the National Recording Preservation Board began selecting nominated recordings each year to be preserved. The first four yearly lists included 50 selections. However, since 2006, 25 recordings have been selected annually. Thus, a total of 300 recordings have been preserved in the Registry as of 2009.

The criteria for selection are as follows:

• Recordings selected for the National Recording Registry are those that are culturally, historically or aesthetically important, and/or inform or reflect life in the United States.
  • For the purposes of recording selection, "sound recordings" are defined as works that result from the fixation of a series of musical, spoken, or other sounds, but not including the sound component of a moving image work, unless it is available as an autonomous sound recording or is the only extant component of the work.
  • Recordings may be a single item or group of related items; published or unpublished; and may contain music, non-music, spoken word, or broadcast sound.
  • Recordings will not be considered for inclusion into the National Recording Registry if no copy of the recording exists.
  • No recording should be denied inclusion into the National Recording Registry because that recording has already been preserved.
  • No recording is eligible for inclusion into the National Recording Registry until ten years after the recording's creation.

Here's the current jazz albums I could find - the majority of us would doubtless know most of the list fairly well, though I personally don't know a lot of the earlier stuff. Aja is the most recent addition in terms of a jazz recording.

Aja - Steely Dan (1977)
Head Hunters - Herbie Hancock (1973)
The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings - Bill Evans Trio (June 25, 1961)
Time Out - The Dave Brubeck Quartet (1959)
Mingus Ah-Um - Charles Mingus (1959)
Kind of Blue - Miles Davis (1959)
Giant Steps - John Coltrane (1959)
Brilliant Corners - Thelonious Monk (1956)
Manteca - Dizzy Gillespie Big Band with Chano Pozo (1947)
Ko Ko - Charlie Parker (1945)
Blanton-Webster era recordings - Duke Ellington Orchestra (1940-1942)
One O'Clock Jump - Count Basie and His Orchestra (1937) Board and a fund-raising foundation to aid their efforts.

So, what would you add? I'll jump in later, have to have a think about it
Reviews...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic