Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Top Afro Cuban Samples

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 3:23pm
Does it get anymore older. Recorded music was barely of the ground and here in 1914 with troubadour Maria Teresa Vera,  Rafael Zequeira and some guitar help from the composer Manuel Corona who appeared on many of her recordings assisting early days as Rafael Zequeira did not play guitar but only sang vocals. They recorded 193 titles together until he passed away in 1924. 

One of her first but not the very first recording from her. That was "Tere" with "Vela" on the old flip. 1914 as well

Trova is the style, you can say it is early Son but this is country/rural Cuban music delivered in that classic accoustic style.

Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 3:35pm
^ very Spanish, and I think I hear some similarities to the Tango?
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

^ very Spanish, and I think I hear some similarities to the Tango?
Ah, you have me not being a real Tango fan. Where is Pablo? He should be a Tango expert after all he comes from the home of it. You can hear that Tango pluck that they have though, esp. at the commencement. The early Tango I have heard is very formal. I will admit since I am not a big fan I could not tell the difference between a milonga and a vals or a habenero for that matter. I have a friend who loves it. She is Italian which is no surprise with why she enjoys it so much.

Another Italian friend told me when they immigrated to Australia the other choice to where they were going was Argentina but she arrived here when she was two. I have known her since I was fourteen as she is my best mates wife. He was similar but came from Malta as a baby and cannot remember his homeland but then again he does not seem that interested when over the years I have asked him about it. More concerned with the footy LOL
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 4:05pm
I have to agree, the formal dances are not my thing either, I'm thinking I'm a mambo man Cool
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 4:10pm

I have to agree, the formal dances are not my thing either, I'm thinking I'm a mambo man Cool
Now ya talkin'  John, gotta have those congas and bongos Approve
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 4:31pm
congo bongo!!!
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 4:45pm
I've been reading Ted Gioia's history of jazz and its interesting how Latin and African rhythms intersect throughout history, starting with the North African invasion of Spain and so on.
The earliest jazz musicians in New Orleans were supposedly influenced by Mexican calvary band etc.

It would seem the Latin and African rhythms are already tangled together long before you get to Afro-Cuban jazz. Afro-Cuban jazz is just more synthesis of previous synthesises 
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 7:28pm

I've been reading Ted Gioia's history of jazz and its interesting how Latin and African rhythms intersect throughout history, starting with the North African invasion of Spain and so on.
The earliest jazz musicians in New Orleans were supposedly influenced by Mexican calvary band etc.

It would seem the Latin and African rhythms are already tangled together long before you get to Afro-Cuban jazz. Afro-Cuban jazz is just more synthesis of previous synthesises 
Oh yeah John, Mali, Guinean and Senegal bands went to Cuba in the fifties and brought it back which explains Bembeya Jazz and Orchestra Baobab's sound as two examples. Heaps of west Afican influenced Cuban stuff no to mention African Rhumba from the Congo

Havin' a breather and gonna talk to my wife while I whack a jazz album on

Hello Dolly
Matt
Maloso View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maloso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 6:30pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic