JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Official ''Review Our Music'' Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Two New Songs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gsimonel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Two New Songs
    Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 6:34pm
I'm a composer, and I'd like to submit two new compositions for review. The first is called "Moonlight" and is written for a small combo. It has sort of a late 50s/early 60s feel. Here's a link to it:

http://feltemp.com/Library/Moonlight_4-3-17_Master.mp3

The second song has me plunging ahead into the mid 1970s stylistically. To my ears, it has a big band, Tower of Power feel. It's called "Fear No Fifth" and has a kind of 4/4 melody line sort of superimposed over a 5/4  meter. More or less. Chordwise, it's essentially a 12-bar blues with extended vamps during the solos that meander around a bit harmonically:

http://feltemp.com/Library/FearNoFifth.mp3

I'm not consciously trying for a retro sound in either of these songs; they just seemed to turn out that way. Both songs were composed in Sibelius. I exported each instrument as a separate sound file and mixed everything together in Reaper to give me a little more control over the balance.

I'm happy to post PDFs of the scores if anyone is interested.

Oh, and I have more songs on my web site: http://feltemp.com/Songs.html

Thanks for considering these songs for review.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 9:42pm
Both tunes and arrangements are good and worth working with. The problem of course is the faux instruments and the programmed rhythm section. Get yourself some real musicians and you might have something here, and you could find them at your nearby university.
If you took a class in arranging, or jazz arranging, then you would have the school's ensemble to work with. Plus you would get advice and input from others.
gsimonel View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gsimonel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2018 at 6:15am
Definitely good advice. I'll try to post the scores when I get home tonight.
gsimonel View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gsimonel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 8:23pm
Sorry. I got sidetracked. Here are the scores:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic