JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Does Zeuhl belong in JMA?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oneiromante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does Zeuhl belong in JMA?
    Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 11:47am
Christian Vander from Magma mentions John Coltrane as one of his main influences, and Magma's first two albums are actually very jazzy. So what do you think? Should Magma (and Zeuhl) be featured here?
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 11:51am
Hmm, good question - in that, I'm not sure about the process of getting a Genre added to the site, but a band, of course, has a shot based on its own merits.

But then, the 'Jazz-Related' genre is pretty inclusive - perhaps Magma has a chance there, not sure as I don't know enough of their discog
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 1:02pm
Any band that is going to be considered for addition will be looked at one at a time regardless of what they are called.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 5:38pm
Magma and others Zeuhl bands don't have to be included as Zeuhl as a genre.... Jazz-related rock (or rock-related-jazz) can suffice...
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 7:32pm
AAgreed with Sean.

To answer the topic question: No.
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
UMUR View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 7:56am
On MMA we have a non-metal tag option, which means that the release canīt be reviewed. If you have a similar option here on JMA, maybe you can tag the first couple of Magma releases with the jazz-related rock tag and apply the non-jazz tag to the rest.
...ah the beauty of individual release tagging. Bowdown
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 8:10am
^ Nice, interesting idea!
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 8:19am
I wonder how many people will feel really disapointed  if they won't find Magma albums on JMA...or how many will come looking for Magma reviews on JMA...
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 9:26am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

On MMA we have a non-metal tag option, which means that the release canīt be reviewed. If you have a similar option here on JMA, maybe you can tag the first couple of Magma releases with the jazz-related rock tag and apply the non-jazz tag to the rest.

I personally feel that there is enough jazz on all Magma albums that they should be reviewed.

Originally posted by idlero idlero wrote:

I wonder how many people will feel really disapointed  if they won't find Magma albums on JMA...or how many will come looking for Magma reviews on JMA...

True enough... it's definitely not an urgent addition, but if the auim is to be as inclusive and exhaustive as PA wxants to, then ultimately most Zeuhl bands should be in (especially Zao)
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

UMUR View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 5:52am
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I personally feel that there is enough jazz on all Magma albums that they should be reviewed.

I donīt know which releases should be tagged non-jazz and which shouldnīt (maybe you are right that non of them should be tagged non-jazz) because Iīve only listened to the first couple of albums at this point. It was just an example of how things could workSmile.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 10:57am

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I donīt know which releases should be tagged non-jazz and which shouldnīt (maybe you are right that non of them should be tagged non-jazz) because Iīve only listened to the first couple of albums at this point. It was just an example of how things could workSmile.

Not sure what you mean by non-jazz tags, here... Do you consider JMA non-jazz tags as jazz-related (like Acid Jazz and Jazz-related Rock or Third Stream)??

If only one Magma album should be tagged "classic fusion", then the s/t debut is it... It's cleartly their most JR/F... But can an album like Köhntarkosz not be entered as "fusion" with a track like Coltrane Sundia

To be honest, IMHO it would be to place all Zeuhl seen fit in JMA (and that's to be judged as to which are by the Admins) as classic fusion artistes...
the jazziest Zeuhl band I know is Zao, but even then it's closer to JR/F than any total jazz category. Zao could even be entered as world fusion with some albums.

UMUR View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 2:19am
As I wrote it was just an example of how a non-jazz tag could work if it is deemed that some releases in an artistīs discography are not "jazz" enough. As such Iīm not commenting on Magma or Zeuhl. Itīs not exactly my area of experticeBig smile.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 3:19am

As I wrote it was just an example of how a non-jazz tag could work if it is deemed that some releases in an artistīs discography are not "jazz" enough. As such Iīm not commenting on Magma or Zeuhl. Itīs not exactly my area of experticeBig smile.

It's not my decision (nor will I make a fuss about it either), but if Magma's or other Zeuhl band's inclusions seems to me a bit borderline in JMA, I 'm kind of shocked seeing King Crimson in JMA... after all the only slightly jazzy album of theirs is Lizard ... Sure, there are a few British jazzers guesting on three albums (Tippett, Mark Charig, Harry Miller, Nick Evans), but it seems a little light on jazz-related contents... But then again so is Chic...

Warthur View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 1:39pm
I would say that Magma deserve to be on here because of the fusion influence on their first few albums and because of the funk influence that became a very big part of their sound on their late-70s albums such as Attahk, and because you do get fusion motifs cropping up here and there on more or less all their albums.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic