Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2011 likes and dislikes in jazz music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 6:35am
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

Confused now, I was referring to Alex's COE, which you haven't heard yet, as you said above.

It might turn out the same with Shepp/Kuhn, but I have to hear it first. Tongue

LOL

Now you need to listen Shepp/Kuhn just to compare 

Edited by snobb - 05 Jul 2011 at 6:35am
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 6:49am
The funny thing is that Slava's description does fit C.O.E indeed. LOL It is like scratching glass, but in a good way (for me at least). 
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 7:47am
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

Interesting new release - combination of American and European avant-garde roots in one duo. Sounds really good but often on the edge of two worlds :

Saw Archie shepp last October at Middelheim Festival (Antwerp)

Kind of deceiving... partly because of his performance is a little down because of his Parkinson (I think that's what he's got), but also a very conventional set (at least for what the fans could expect from his discography

But he was followed by McCoy Tyner, so he (Archie) stood almost no chance. (I'd probably have left after 1/2h  if it had been the other way around )

Still, it was nice to see a legend

What's this album like???(like the artwork, though)

Edited by Sean Trane - 05 Jul 2011 at 7:48am
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 12:50am

UnhappyThumbs Down

I could have told you thatTongue
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 1:09am
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Interesting new release - combination of American and European avant-garde roots in one duo. Sounds really good but often on the edge of two worlds :

Saw Archie shepp last October at Middelheim Festival (Antwerp)

Kind of deceiving... partly because of his performance is a little down because of his Parkinson (I think that's what he's got), but also a very conventional set (at least for what the fans could expect from his discography

But he was followed by McCoy Tyner, so he (Archie) stood almost no chance. (I'd probably have left after 1/2h  if it had been the other way around )

Still, it was nice to see a legend

What's this album like???(like the artwork, though)

I listen it again and again and I like it more and more. A bit strange though - cold technical Kuhn piano and Shepp's warm soulful and free sax over it. I believe some like it and others hate. 
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 6:41am
Better than I expected - more adventurous than usual Liebman post bop, in big part avant garde jazz:

Ricochet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 3:58pm

First listen. Kind of "meh".

Ricochet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 8:25am

Really intriguing, this one, skipping from regular (for Fris) bluegrass to minimalist chamber music.

Just one of Evans' works this year, probably the most important. In fact, I'm going through all his '11 stuff, Kopros Lithos with Gustafsson/Fernandez was ok, Sum and Difference with Altieri/Pluta is more EAI and not really brilliant. I've still got High Society with Wooley to check.

Ghosts really took me by surprise, after Evans' previous, two-hour-long heavy-spitting Nature/Culture. It has its tiny glitches or ghastly voices, as suggested, otherwise the game is pretty conventional. This could be the best "hard nu-jazz" sort of record for me since E.S.T.'s Leucocyte, but I have to give it more spins.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 4:09pm
^ I just got "Ghosts" too. 
Ricochet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 3:14pm

Given the new school of crappy covers they adhere to, I could have easily never picked this album of theirs up. But I'm ultimately glad I did - sort of? It's definitely more interesting that I expected. Jazz with electronics - at least? (I was going to say nu-jazz, but I think that would be a pleonasm). Shouting it out to Alex, it's atypical and disjointed enough.

For sure, this next one said less to me:

It does have its moments.

Edited by snobb - 17 Aug 2011 at 1:42am
Polo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 4:20pm
I really loved Matana Robert's Coin Coin. http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/matana-roberts--coin-coin-chapter-one-gens-de-couleur-libres.aspx

That's Kenny G with Miles Davis on my avatar, by the way.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 5:53pm
I dislike that my copy of Hiromi's new album "Voice" hasn't arrived yet
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 5:56pm

Given the new school of crappy covers they adhere to, I could have easily never picked this album of theirs up. But I'm ultimately glad I did - sort of? It's definitely more interesting that I expected. Jazz with electronics - at least? (I was going to say nu-jazz, but I think that would be a pleonasm). Shouting it out to Alex, it's atypical and disjointed enough.

Is that the real artwork?

I have an album (or an EP, I dont remember) of theirs around somewhere. I believe Charlie Hunter is in that band, right? Either way, he's a ridiculous player. He plays an 8 string guitar, playing the guitar parts and bass parts (on the lower strings) at the same time.

I recall the album of theirs I have was laid-back jazz-funk. Interesting they're going in an electronic direction.

Edited by snobb - 17 Aug 2011 at 1:46am
Ricochet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Is that the real artwork?

I have an album (or an EP, I dont remember) of theirs around somewhere. I believe Charlie Hunter is in that band, right? Either way, he's a ridiculous player. He plays an 8 string guitar, playing the guitar parts and bass parts (on the lower strings) at the same time.

I recall the album of theirs I have was laid-back jazz-funk. Interesting they're going in an electronic direction.

At least that's how it sounded to me, moderately charged with beats and "bytes".

Yes to the artwork question.
No to Charlie Hunter being in it (anymore).

Edited by snobb - 17 Aug 2011 at 1:47am
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 8:06pm
Ok. So he WAS in the band, but not anymore.

That reminds me, I should try and find the Charlie Hunter albums I have. It's been years since Ive listened to them.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 5:50am

Cheers, I'll be getting it.
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2011 at 8:13am

very good, mostly ballads with a chamber jazz sound, 'ECM' quality

I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2011 at 11:06am
Originally posted by Polo Polo wrote:

I really loved Matana Robert's Coin Coin. http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/matana-roberts--coin-coin-chapter-one-gens-de-couleur-libres.aspx

Thumbs Up
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 4:01am

not my cup of tea

I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Dick Heath View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2011 at 6:10am
I've surprised myself by really liking the collaboration of Wynton Marsalis and Eric Clapton, and having got the CD I've now gone out and bought the DVD,  gaining even more pleasure seeing the genuine pleasure each musician gets for the others' playing. Indeed having read the review in the London Time several weeks ago, where the critic states this 20's New Orleans jazz fused with Chicago style blues but it works and he in particular cited the rearranged 'Layla' (included in the set at the request of one of Marsalis's band) - I felt compelled to hear this. In part I feel there is an irony here, in that Marsalis is playing a form of jazz fusion - not done since his couple of contributions to the 'Fuse' albums of the early 80's. But most importantly,  I've long felt Clapton's laid back music had fallen over and gone to sleep, while Marsalis's utterances about fusion have been a turn off. However, here is a synergy , and some elements of musicians from slightly different backgrounds provoking each other into some superior playing without showing off.

Edited by Dick Heath - 30 Sep 2011 at 6:12am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic