Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2011 likes and dislikes in jazz music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 12:08pm

another 2011 release that I like:

Edited by idlero - 01 May 2011 at 12:09pm
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2011 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by idlero idlero wrote:

Where is this from?

I can't seem to be able to stand this kind of fusion anymore...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2011 at 5:31pm

I'm getting this.
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2011 at 1:16am
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Where is this from?

Iiro Rantala-Tears  For Esbjorn from 'Lost Heroes',2011
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2011 at 4:30am
Thumbs Up
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 2:45pm
Two nice 2011 releases, piano trios from Italy:
08 Trio-Live In Studio-free download at jamendo
and
Chat Noir-Weather Forecasting Stone

Ken Burns
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 8:13am
I like

a mix of jazz,hip pop and electronica

Ken Burns
Ricochet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 2:06am
Listening last evening to Nguyen Le's Songs of Freedom was the second worst experience of the year next to one of Boris' new albums.

idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 6:08am
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

Listening last evening to Nguyen Le's Songs of Freedom was the second worst experience of the year next to one of Boris' new albums.

Agree entirely although I haven't listened to Boris LOL
Ken Burns
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2011 at 10:33am
Didn't like Bill Frisell's 'Sign of life'
Ken Burns
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2011 at 10:56pm
I dislike that I have gotten no 2011 jazz albums yet. I have my eyes on the new Hiromi album and the new Bela Fleck & The Flecktones albums
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2011 at 11:12pm
also that James Farm album with Joshua Redman

Edited by darkshade - 29 May 2011 at 11:13pm
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 2:04am
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I dislike that I have gotten no 2011 jazz albums yet. I have my eyes on the new Hiromi album and the new Bela Fleck & The Flecktones albums

I heard both of them - IMO them both are quite good Smile 
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 2:07pm
liked James Farm, not a fan of Bella Fleck's music
Ken Burns
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 2:12pm
Usually I don't like Bela Fleck's music too much, but last album is better than his average work for me. Still same Americana+jazz though Smile
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 2:50pm
I like BF&tFT. I dont have any of his solo stuff. ..BF&tFT remind me more of Classic Fusion, even though they're listed as World Fusion here. Victor Wooten one of the main reasons I listen to them
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 2:55pm
Yep, BF's last album sounded more like World to me, which usually isn't a bad thing considering my tastes but this one  didn't catch me.
Ken Burns
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 5:40pm

I'm always a couple years late with jazz albums, so I shouldn't hit 2011 before 2014LOL

Ity's a bit like for prog, most of the new releases can wait a while (and would longer, if I didn't have to make a list at the end of the year), with a few exception (Univers Zero or VdGG)... but the exceptions in jazz a much scracer.
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 6:07pm
yes, sober musicians are much more prolific, since they dont waste time with narcotics

**EDIT** woops, I didn't realize that was part of your sig. I think the colors threw me off

Edited by darkshade - 31 May 2011 at 6:08pm
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 1:16am

yes, sober musicians are much more prolific, since they dont waste time with narcotics

**EDIT** woops, I didn't realize that was part of your sig. I think the colors threw me off
LOLLOLLOL

Sorry about that!!

This said, I don't think that jazzmen have any less problems with drugs than other types of musos. If Coltrane managed to kick it out, Parker & Miles didn't.

s
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic