JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2011 likes and dislikes in jazz music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by triceratopsoil triceratopsoil wrote:

It is not jazz.

Maybe it's jazz-related rock, but I don't remember it as such.
The Block View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 4:18pm

Listen to it at 00:30, that is jazz...
[FLASH WIDTH=200 HEIGHT=200]http://cdn.pimpmyspace.org/media/pms/c/ju/uq/qi/ctures_119.jpg[/FLASH]
triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 4:19pm
No, that is a saxophone solo.
The Block View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 4:22pm

Which is very jazzy
[FLASH WIDTH=200 HEIGHT=200]http://cdn.pimpmyspace.org/media/pms/c/ju/uq/qi/ctures_119.jpg[/FLASH]
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 7:15pm
Hiromi .......Voice
Kurt Elling..........The Gate
Cassandra Wilson.........Silver Pony
Tito Puente Jr..........Got Mambo

Dislike

Bill Laswell..........Aspiration

Matt
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by The Block The Block wrote:

Which is very jazzy

Bruce Springsteen has big long sax solos in his music, a lot of 80s bands had a sax player, some original rock n' roll bands had a sax player; doesn't make them jazz
The Block View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 2:10pm
It was released in late 2010, but Soren Moller's newest album The Christian X Variations pretty good.
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 2:24pm
Hiromi's Voice is a pretty good one
Krilons Resa View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krilons Resa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 2:58pm
So far, of the top of my head, I have enjoyed:

Matthew Halsall - On The Go
Darren Johnston - Cylinder
Motif - Facienda
Helge Lien Trio - Natsukashii

Waiting for Liam Sillery's new album to drop tomorrow. Last year's Phenomenology was spectacular.

I agree about the Avishai Cohen album.  It sounds like he just keeps doing the same thing over and over again, vamp after vamp.  I used to really dig his stuff but it hasn;t aged well imo.  Once you've heard one of his albums, you have heard them all, for the most part anyway.

I was also semi-disappointed with the new Omer Avital Quintet - Live At Smalls album.  Not that it is bad.  Not as good as his earlier recorded work but it may be just me listening to mostly more "out" stuff since the times when I couldnt get enough of him.

Edited by Krilons Resa - 22 Apr 2011 at 11:03am
That shows you the power of music, that magician of magician, who lifts his wand, says his mysterious word and all things real pass away and the phantoms of your mind walk before you clothed in flesh.
Sancho Panza View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sancho Panza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 9:10pm
Hiromi Uehara!
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by Sancho Panza Sancho Panza wrote:

Hiromi Uehara!
Thumbs Up
Welcome to the site.
This thread waits for your opinion.
Krilons Resa View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krilons Resa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 9:21pm

This album is gonna be fantastic.
That shows you the power of music, that magician of magician, who lifts his wand, says his mysterious word and all things real pass away and the phantoms of your mind walk before you clothed in flesh.
EatThatPhonebook View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EatThatPhonebook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 7:28am
The only jazz stuff I've listened to is the new Colin Stetson. Definitely one of the best of the year!
Freddie Freeloader View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freddie Freeloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 12:13pm

Which is very jazzy
I think what he is getting at is that a few elements in a rock song thrown in to sound like jazz, such as horns do not make somthing jazz. Jazz thas more to do with how the music is structured than the particular instruments that are used. The idea that every song that has horns in it is jazz is just plain wrong.

What differentiates that sax solo from a jazz sax solo is the context. It is obviously not improvised, a trait of most jazz solo's, the other instruments arn't playing jazz. Listen to the drums in that song while they are complex they obviously are not coming from the jazz tradition they are far too stiff. It is the rigidly composed nature of the song that seperates it from jazz and a quick listen reveals how different it really is from the style.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freddie Freeloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 12:15pm
^^^
that being sayed its a great solo and a great song. Its just a prog song not a jazz song
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 12:34pm
Akakabotu is a prog/jazz composition.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 2:14pm
Am I the only one who always hesitates to buy a modern jazz release, based on the cover "art"? They always seem like they're going to be smooth jazz, r&b, or something else like that. Obviously you can't judge a book by its cover, but I really don't like how many of them look.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by Freddie Freeloader Freddie Freeloader wrote:

Which is very jazzy
I think what he is getting at is that a few elements in a rock song thrown in to sound like jazz, such as horns do not make somthing jazz. Jazz thas more to do with how the music is structured than the particular instruments that are used. The idea that every song that has horns in it is jazz is just plain wrong.

What differentiates that sax solo from a jazz sax solo is the context. It is obviously not improvised, a trait of most jazz solo's, the other instruments arn't playing jazz. Listen to the drums in that song while they are complex they obviously are not coming from the jazz tradition they are far too stiff. It is the rigidly composed nature of the song that seperates it from jazz and a quick listen reveals how different it really is from the style.

Yep, also, we already sort of tore poor Block apart for the Beardfish thing.  A lot less politely than you did LOL.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Am I the only one who always hesitates to buy a modern jazz release, based on the cover "art"? They always seem like they're going to be smooth jazz, r&b, or something else like that. Obviously you can't judge a book by its cover, but I really don't like how many of them look.

Well, it depends.  If it's got a fricken walrusman or something on it, I'm more likely to buy it

awwwwww yeahhhhhhhh
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freddie Freeloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 11:30pm

Originally posted by Freddie Freeloader Freddie Freeloader wrote:

Which is very jazzy

Yep, also, we already sort of tore poor Block apart for the Beardfish thing.  A lot less politely than you did LOL.
Embarrassed
I just felt like an explanation was in order so rather than just telling Block he is wrong. I would rather explain to him why I feel he is wrong so that he has an opportunity to argue against me and make his point....

Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic