JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to JMA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Supertramp - jazz related rock/r'n'b/crossover

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asmodean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Supertramp - jazz related rock/r'n'b/crossover
    Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 12:12pm
i am waiting the guilliotine Tongue

but it is not to put under a shelf that Supertramp had ties to jazz, and jazz is a big part of Supertramps sound, partly for John Halliwells saxopones, but mainly for Rick Davies piano and jazzy arrangements, jazzy prog, and soul/jazz/blues funky tunes, 50% of the tramps music is jazz/rock or jazz/pop, even some of Rogers songs have a light jazz tuch, though rock and pop is dominant but don't look away for all the jazzy songs on every album from Indelible Stamped to Slow Motion, i bet Tramp even got more jazzy after Roger left, but even the first album have jazzy touch but no saxophone, i think they are jazzy in the way Traffic are jazzy, and they are often compared to Steely Dan,

I think mainly for that jazz playd such a large part of the sound of Supertramp they could be in JMA; not should but they could, by the influence jazz had on supertramp, and i would not say they might not be influentual to modern jazz or jazz related rock, but that Supertramps rock is filled with jazzy elements is pretty clear, in there entire carear as a band almost as jazzy as Crimson

i have read some placeas that haddent it been for the more rocky rythemsection Supertramp would have been a swing/jazz band,

some jazzy songs

Edited by Asmodean - 27 Feb 2012 at 12:18pm
"I created these characters, and I am an Old Testament God with my fist in the middle of their lives." by Robert Jordan Auther of the Wheel of Time fantasy wonderstory

Asmodean View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asmodean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 1:10pm
some more jazz/latino influenced

"I created these characters, and I am an Old Testament God with my fist in the middle of their lives." by Robert Jordan Auther of the Wheel of Time fantasy wonderstory

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 1:10pm
Hey Asmodean, we like getting band suggestions, but if I remember correctly, I think this is the second time you suggested Supertramp. Thy are a great art rock band, but I think their outcome on a jazz site is going to be the same as the first time you suggested them.
Asmodean View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asmodean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 1:34pm
i don't remeber that i have, oh yeah, at the start but then the site was new and you wanted to add the 100%ers, and those who were predomentantly linked to jazz, now im aming at a band that had lots of jazz elements in all their works from the 2nd album to the last album, jazz is in Supertramps spine, or rather jazz/rock'n'roll/r'n'b,  i still think it is a fiar suggestion, as a art rock band jazz is the most important element ot Supertramp, when i first heard the band they reminded me of Chicago, Earth, Wind and Fire, fun, and fresh music with funky, jazzy and swingy moments, mixed with folk,pop and rock, 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic