Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RIP Whitney Houston

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RIP Whitney Houston
    Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 2:36am
From CBS:

LOS ANGELES - Whitney Houston, who ruled as pop music's queen until her majestic voice and regal image were ravaged by drug use, erratic behavior and a tumultuous marriage to singer Bobby Brown, died Saturday. She was 48.

Beverly Hills police Lt. Mark Rosen told reporters outside the Beverly Hilton that Houston was pronounced dead at 3:55 p.m. in her room on the fourth floor of the hotel. Her body remained there and Beverly Hills detectives were investigating.

"There were no obvious signs of any criminal intent at this time," Rosen said.

Houston's publicist, Kristen Foster, said Saturday that the cause of her death was unknown.

Rosen said police received a 911 call from hotel security about Houston at 3:43 p.m. Saturday. Paramedics who were already at the hotel because of a Grammy party unsuccessfully tried to resuscitate the singer, he said.

Beverly Hills Police Department later issued a statement:""Whitney Houston was pronounced dead that the scene by members of her entourage which included friends, co-workers, and family. Ms. Houston's daughter and mother were notified of here death."

The statement also added that "the investigation is currently being conducted" and that "there is no additional information at this time."

"The actual cause of death will be determined by the L.A. Co. Coroner's Office," it said.

Edited by idlero - 12 Feb 2012 at 2:37am
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 2:47am
In a weird coincidence tonight, I was playing a party at a local civic center that was also hosting a concert for her husband's band, New Edition. Word went out about her death about a half hour before they were supposed to go on, looks like the show went on.
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 3:19am
RIP
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 3:47am
RIP, of course
but her music and Celine actually ruined a lot of the 90's pop airwaves for me

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 7:57am
A little known fact about Whitney: a lot of people don't know that early in her career she sang one song on an early Material/Bill Laswell record. Material was of course, at that time, New York Gong under a new name.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 1:18pm

She had an awesome voice. We have her first two albums here. My wife is the main fan but I did not mind some of her stuff myself. I even had to watch "The Bodyguard". Actually we have three forgot my wife bought the soundtrack as well on cd.

"And Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii will always love youuuuuuuuuuu. ( one of Dolly's tunes)

Drove many of us mad but boy did it sell. The girls loved it.

RIP Whitney, singing Gospel now with the angels and most likely showing them up with that awesome voice.

She gone to dance "With somebody who loves me"
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 1:30pm
Speaking of the tune you mention with the long held notes, I had a job long ago leading kids at a Catholic school in singing. We would sing current pop tunes etc. Someone suggested Whitney's version of the Dolly tune, so we tried it. Holding the long notes in a large group sounded horribly humorous, iiiiiiiiiiiiieeeiiiiiii  will always love youuuuuuuuuuuaaaauuuuu.
After we made it through the song I told the kids we would never do that one again, our performance was very embarasing, ha.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

Speaking of the tune you mention with the long held notes, I had a job long ago leading kids at a Catholic school in singing. We would sing current pop tunes etc. Someone suggested Whitney's version of the Dolly tune, so we tried it. Holding the long notes in a large group sounded horribly humorous, iiiiiiiiiiiiieeeiiiiiii  will always love youuuuuuuuuuuaaaauuuuu.
After we made it through the song I told the kids we would never do that one again, our performance was very embarasing, ha.
Years ago in the UK John I remember reading that a woman was taken to court by her neighbours for playing it everyday over and over again at full volume. Poor Buggers
Matt
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 6:21pm
Japan broadcasted this news immediately, too last night. An action several hours before she died was broadcasted. The event in the club. Or about an action and the rumor of later years.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic