JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best Miles Davis Quotes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprinceofjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Miles Davis Quotes
    Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 10:25pm
I Just re read the fantastic Miles Davis Reader, a book put out by Frank Alkyer, that compiles the many Down Beat Magazine Interviews and Blind Fold Tests he did, some of the quotes are priceless, It got me thinking about some of my favorites. here is one of them.

"That's got to be Eric Dolphy, Nobody else could sound that bad! The next time I see him I am going to step on his foot, You can print that."

This was a blind fold test  from 1964 of the tune "Mary Ann" from the album Far Cry. no one could do a Down Beat blind fold test like Miles. It is ironic that Miles was not real fond of the Avant Garde at this point, and yet almost all the music to come from Miles after 1964 was heavily influenced by it, I wonder what Miles would have thought about  his own Bitches Brew in 1964.

Edited by darkprinceofjazz - 03 Feb 2012 at 7:55am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 3:25am
Miles appreciated the avant-garde, but he would never jump on someone else's bandwagon, he had to go his own route.

A favorite quote of mine, paraphrased by me from memory, involved rehearsals with guitarist Mike Stern in the early 80s. Mike had a great background in bop, but apparently Miles told him  "don't play that jazz sh*t, play this", after which Miles played him the new Van Halen record on a boombox.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 3:29am
Somthing like this:(paraphrasing whatever I remember)

What Mal (Waldron) is doing with those German hippies (Embryo), that's some pretty interesting sh*t.
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

darkprinceofjazz View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprinceofjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 8:07am
The first time I heard Dolphy, it was the Out There album I think, I had a similar reaction as Miles, Dolphy  seems out of tune, I imagine Cecil Taylor has the same effect on many, even Monk must have sounded this way back in the late 40's, some never acquire the taste, I am glad I did.

darkprinceofjazz View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprinceofjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 8:21am
Here is a quote from another Blind fold test from the same 1964 test, this was after listening to Cecil Taylor's "Lena" from Live at the Cafe Montmartre, a duet with Jimmy Lyons on alto,

"Take it off, that's some sad sh#t, man,
in the first place I hear some Charlie Parker Cliches....they don't even fit, is that what the critics are diggin? those critics got to stop having coffee, if there aint nothin to listen to, they might as well admit it", just to take something like that and say it's great because there aint nothin to listen to is like going out and getting a prostitute".

Edited by darkprinceofjazz - 03 Feb 2012 at 8:21am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 9:06am
^ I have an old Downbeat book that has that same blindfold test.

Speaking of Monk and Miles, during their brief time together, Miles insisted that Monk not comp during Miles' solos due to Monk's odd accompaniments. 
I also have the album where Miles tells the producer to leave Monk's contrary remarks on the recording.

Edited by js - 03 Feb 2012 at 9:06am
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 9:37pm
Just to contrast some of the ample evidence of his large ego, I'm sure I've read something somewhere where he resisted being called a 'legend.' As if he was uncomfortable with it? Wish I had a quote to go with it.

We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Dylbean View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dylbean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 1:42pm
Speaking of Monk and Miles, during their brief time together, Miles insisted that Monk not comp during Miles' solos due to Monk's odd accompaniments. 
I also have the album where Miles tells the producer to leave Monk's contrary remarks on the recording.

LOL. This is particularly funny to me. I don't think I'd want him to comp under my solos either! 
There is no god, but music is pretty cool.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 6:12am
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
"
If you understood everything I say, you'd be me!' LOL

Edited by Slartibartfast - 11 Feb 2012 at 6:13am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 1:24pm
^ nice link, I like the Jimi and Elvis quotes too.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 2:09pm
What about his comment to BB King concerning the length of John Coltrane's solos. BB autobiography  has it. When Coltrane said he could not help it and Miles replied "Just take the horn out your mouth".
 I am running of memory here as the book went back to the library years ago but I always will remember that when BB King mentioned  the conversation in the toilet they had.LOL
Matt
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

^ I have an old Downbeat book that has that same blindfold test.

Yeah. Monk was not happy and neither was Miles. They say Monk was offended and you noticed they never recorded again together. It is a shame that Miles did not let Monk have his run. There could have been some wonderful material but egos do get in the way. Miles have a big head? never Wink
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 2:57pm
If you listen to that one album they did together, you can hear one part where Miles starts mimicking what Monk is doing on the piano (I guess Monk was allowed to comp on that one) and they sort of take off together for a bit, no doubt that Miles could appreciate or understand what Monk was doing, I guess he didn't want Monk dictating the direction of the music.
Musicians are always a humble lot you know. Wink
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 1:12am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

You know the story about him and Miles Davis? 
During rehearsals Miles told him to quit playing that "jazz sh*t", producing a boombox with the new Van Halen, Miles told him to play like that!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic