Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2012 releases-opinions and recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 3:23pm
combination of  ancient Latin texts with modern music, for ECM fans
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Krilons Resa View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krilons Resa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 10:03am
3 favorite albums of the year for me so far...

That shows you the power of music, that magician of magician, who lifts his wand, says his mysterious word and all things real pass away and the phantoms of your mind walk before you clothed in flesh.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

Originally posted by idlero idlero wrote:

nice but unessential
my favourite 'Mozart Goes Dancing'

Well, I've went to see them live and they basically just presented the album (apart from two pieces off Native Sense to kick off, then, at the end, the beloved Armando's Rhumba) and I definitely thought the CD will turn out less rewarding and I'll even accuse it of being unoriginal (in an oh-why-are-they-not-working-on-something-new way) and standards-splashy. The Bud, the Brubeck and Jobim's Bossa sounded really great, so I guess they'll be my picks here as well. 

Generally I really like Chick Corea, he released more great albums than many expect, but some last years works are quite boring if not disappointing. "Hot House" is one between them for me. Corea was really adventurous quite a short time some decades ago, but he was able to play quality enjoyable music for years. His last few releases are mostly material for collectors - too often uninspired, repetitive and openly boring
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 12:50pm
The pre-RTF Corea was one of the most amazing pianists in any genre, something put out the fire, he's always a great player still, but it isn't the same.
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 3:58pm
not much jazz , pretty enjoyable Balkans music
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2012 at 7:04am
Thumbs Up
EST fans will probably enjoy this
Ken Burns
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 2:44pm
contemporary chamber music
Ken Burns
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 5:31pm

Badbadnotgood - BBNG2

Sorry for insisting with this, but this new band is just one of the most interesting musical groups to appear in this century! Ok, many will think I'm exagerrating, but they really are offering something new and in a great way, and they're 21 years old!

Not only that, their music is free for download... I mean, what??
http://badbadnotgood.bandcamp.com/
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 5:54pm
I liked their previous album, I'll find some time to check this one out,  ... more power to the 21 year olds!
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 7:32pm
^yep, their debut is really good!
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 3:28pm

mix of experimental and mellow tracks, dark mood music,interesting
Ken Burns
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2012 at 3:41am
unimpressed despite the quite enthusiastic reviews
Ken Burns
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2012 at 11:52am
Originally posted by Abraxas Abraxas wrote:

Badbadnotgood - BBNG2

Sorry for insisting with this, but this new band is just one of the most interesting musical groups to appear in this century! Ok, many will think I'm exagerrating, but they really are offering something new and in a great way, and they're 21 years old!

Not only that, their music is free for download... I mean, what??
http://badbadnotgood.bandcamp.com/

I'm enjoying this one too - thanks for reminding me of it! :) I remember seeing the cover when it first came out and being interested
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2012 at 12:47pm
enjoying 

Ken Burns
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2012 at 1:42pm
^Thumbs Up Glad you like it guys, don't forget their debut.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 1:18pm
Keeny Garrett's "Seeds from the Underground" is Coltrane styled post bop with some Afro-Cuban rhythms and some wordless vocals as well.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 10:08am
Curtis Mayfield fans may want to check out hard bop covers of his tunes on Jazz Soul Seven's "Impressions of Curtis Mayfield". If you are a fan you will get the play on words. 
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 6:19pm
^ awesome, I will most definitely !
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 8:52pm
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2012 at 11:35am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

New album by Omer Avital

pretty good album
Ken Burns
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic