FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Top 10 Non-Jazz (& non-prog) Artists/Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
StarThrower View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StarThrower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 10 Non-Jazz (& non-prog) Artists/Albums
    Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 1:47pm
Favorite non jazz/prog artists:
Richard Thompson
Bruce Cockburn
Jerry Douglas
John Martyn
The Band
New Grass Revival
Tony Rice
Pentangle
Tom Waits
Roy Harper
Frederic_Alderon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frederic_Alderon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 2:03pm
That's the list I got:
  • Michael Jackson Thriller
  • Eagles Their Greatest Hits
  • AC/DC Back in Black
  • Pink Floyd The Dark Side of the Moon
  • Meat Loaf Bat Out of Hell 1977
  • Whitney Houston / Various artists The Bodyguard
  • Eagles Hotel California
  • Bee Gees / Various artists Saturday Night Fever
  • Fleetwood Mac Rumours 1977

dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 12:13am
Originally posted by Kazuhiro Kazuhiro wrote:

I felt that "Love Don't Mean A Thing" and "Holy Man" were the music with the element of the R & B about "Stormbringer". And I felt "This Time Around/Owed To 'G' "about "Come Taste The Band" when a new trial and the part which evolved were included for a band in particular.

I think that solo album is good about the performance of Tommy Bolin. And I think that the performance that I performed is famous for an album of Billy Cobham for the fan of Tommy Bolin.

'This Time Around/Owed To 'G' is pretty fantastic stuff, easily my favourite track from the album. The instrumental section is tops. Yes - when I first got 'Spectrum' and say Tommy's name I was excited indeed.

Originally posted by Abraxas Abraxas wrote:

^wow, I'm really surprised you guys actually like those two Deep purple albums. Yes, they're not classics and they're not pure hard rock, but that's why I like them so much and the reason why I love Deep Purple, so many styles to find in their discography.

Come Taste the Band just blowed me away with Bolin's guitar and funky interludes. While Stormbringer just had killer soulish and funky tunes, Hughes and Coverdale were at their best, Blackmore does a fine job playing something off his territory.

Quality albums! Yeah, they cover a lot of ground (love that solo in 'Stormbringer') even back when Evans was singing, some cool tracks on those early albums.

I remembered that John said that "Made in Japan "was an album with the elements of the jazz before. My memory may be wrong. Or I do not yet have that I ask about the real intention.

I might have to re-listen to Made In Japan, thanks Kazu!
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 11:26pm
I remembered that John said that "Made in Japan "was an album with the elements of the jazz before. My memory may be wrong. Or I do not yet have that I ask about the real intention.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 9:55pm
^wow, I'm really surprised you guys actually like those two Deep purple albums. Yes, they're not classics and they're not pure hard rock, but that's why I like them so much and the reason why I love Deep Purple, so many styles to find in their discography.

Come Taste the Band just blowed me away with Bolin's guitar and funky interludes. While Stormbringer just had killer soulish and funky tunes, Hughes and Coverdale were at their best, Blackmore does a fine job playing something off his territory.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 9:07pm
I felt that "Love Don't Mean A Thing" and "Holy Man" were the music with the element of the R & B about "Stormbringer". And I felt "This Time Around/Owed To 'G' "about "Come Taste The Band" when a new trial and the part which evolved were included for a band in particular.

I think that solo album is good about the performance of Tommy Bolin. And I think that the performance that I performed is famous for an album of Billy Cobham for the fan of Tommy Bolin.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 8:52pm

Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

From the top of my head, and most recent faves:

Cosmogramma by Flying Lotus
Kid A by Radiohead
Hejira by Joni Mitchell
Pink Moon by Nick Drake
Dots & Loops by Stereolab
American Don by Don Caballero
Shades of Blue by Madlib
Sons & Fascination/Sister Feelings Call by Simple Minds

If not, old time faves:

Come Taste the Band/Stormbringer by Deep Purple
I by Led Zeppelin
Who Are You by The Who
On Every Street by Dire Straits
Ready & Willin' by Whitesnake
You are the music... by Trapeze

Isn't Come Taste the Band great! I feel it might just be underrated too?
Despite all the Plant-isms from Coverdale, Bolin's guitar introduced some great changes on that album

"Come Taste the Band" and "Stormbringer" are underestimated. However, I feel that these albums are not bad. Probably Ritchie Blackmore would feel that "Stormbringer" was the worst as a guess. Little pop and an element of the R & B. And "Come Taste the Band" would not be established without existence of Tommy Bolin.

On the other hand, I think that "Clear Air Turbulence" which Ian Gillan Band announced is predominantly superior jazz rock. I know that this album is favorite one of Pablo.

Yes! Me too - I think that Hughes' singing added the R&B to the funk they were going toward too, with Stormbringer & Burn, but then 'Come Taste the Band' just got kinda grungy! Perhaps it's that guitar sound? The Dealer, kinda a sleazy sound and riff.

I have only got the first two Ian Gillan Band albums, both are pretty good huh? - that reworking of Child in Time from the first album is interesting too

Reviews...
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 8:38pm

Kid A by Radiohead
Hejira by Joni Mitchell
Pink Moon by Nick Drake
Shades of Blue by Madlib

If not, old time faves:

I by Led Zeppelin
Who Are You by The Who

Despite all the Plant-isms from Coverdale, Bolin's guitar introduced some great changes on that album

"Come Taste the Band" and "Stormbringer" are underestimated. However, I feel that these albums are not bad. Probably Ritchie Blackmore would feel that "Stormbringer" was the worst as a guess. Little pop and an element of the R & B. And "Come Taste the Band" would not be established without existence of Tommy Bolin.

On the other hand, I think that "Clear Air Turbulence" which Ian Gillan Band announced is predominantly superior jazz rock. I know that this album is favorite one of Pablo.

Edited by Kazuhiro - 15 Jan 2012 at 8:39pm
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 8:14pm

Kid A by Radiohead
Hejira by Joni Mitchell
Pink Moon by Nick Drake
Shades of Blue by Madlib

If not, old time faves:

I by Led Zeppelin
Who Are You by The Who

Reviews...
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 12:14am

Kid A by Radiohead
Hejira by Joni Mitchell
Pink Moon by Nick Drake
Shades of Blue by Madlib

If not, old time faves:

I by Led Zeppelin
Who Are You by The Who

Edited by Abraxas - 15 Jan 2012 at 12:18am
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Jacques Brel sounds interesting - what other favourites of his do you have? I'm going to check out 'Brel' later tomorrow

Well, Brel like most "French" singers (he was Belgian, of course, but he's associated to French because the man was a lover of French language) before the 70's, he didn't really make "albums" proper  - most his 50's and early 60's "albums" were released on 10" vinyls, (not 12"), which are kind of EP's with only 8 relatively short songs

He more or less stopped in 66 to concentrate on movies and opera (Man Of La Mancha - Don Quixote), then contracted lung cancer in 77... This Brel album (his only real "Album") dates from that time, recorded a few months before his death and released days before it.
It's like a testament.... really poignant songs, where he really unleashes his wraths on idiots (he always did, but here he was mercyless) of all kinds and sings his last throes...

So if you want to get another Brel at first (other than that album), you'd better get a "best of", which are generally indeed his best of.... Better yet, if you can find a live DVD, go for that.... to get an idea how formidable a performer he was

Thumbs Up Excellent, thank you - I will hunt for a Best Of.
Reviews...
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 4:50am
Originally posted by idlero idlero wrote:

Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene
Paganini - The 6 Violin Concertos
Beethoven - Piano Sonatas-Pathetique, Moonlight, Appassionata / Daniel Barenboim
Sting - Fields Of Gold
Orff - Carmina Burana
Marianne Faithfull - Broken English
Leonard Cohen - Live in London
Madredeus - Lisboa
Cesaria Evora - Cesaria
Charles Aznavour - 40 Chansons D'Or

without classical music:

Sting - Fields Of Gold
Madredeus - Lisboa
Cesaria Evora - Cesaria
Simon & Garfunkel - the Concert In Central Park
Pink Martini - Sympathique
Eric Clapton BB King - Riding With The King

I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 3:47am
Originally posted by idlero idlero wrote:

Beethoven - Piano Sonatas-Pathetique, Moonlight, Appassionata / Daniel Barenboim
Sting - Fields Of Gold
Orff - Carmina Burana
Madredeus - Lisboa
Cesaria Evora - Cesaria

three outstanding choices Clap(I'm kind of excluding classical music from this list as well, because it mostly didn't come up in the "album" context)), but in case of Madredeus, I might have chosen Existir

Edited by Sean Trane - 13 Jan 2012 at 3:48am
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 10:06pm
"Black Tie White Noise" is a jazz album Wink  and a damn good one too.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 9:51pm

My some favorites.

---------
Simple Minds - Sons and Fascination

The Police - Ghost in the Machine

Van Halen - Fair Warning

David Sylvian - Brilliant Trees

Ian Gillan Band - Clear Air Turbulence

Men at Work - Business as Usual

The Cult - Electric

Thin Lizzy - Black Rose

David Bowie - Black Tie White Noise

Soul II Soul - Club Classics Vol.One

Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 12:56pm

Beatles, Abbey Road

Bob Dylan, Blood On The Tracks

Neil Young, After The Gold Rush

The Rolling Stones, Sticky Fingers

Bruce Springsteen, Darkness On The Edge Of Town

The Who, Who's Next

The Doors,  LA Woman

Pink Floyd, Dark Side Of The Moon

Willie Nelson, Stardust

Tom Waits, Heart Of Saturday Night

Plenty more where they came from but most I bought as a kid and those early albums are all masterpieces for me. Every Beatles album except Let It Be and Yellow Sub (Which in my opinion is not an album anyway) "dog's breakfast might be a good term for it" , I would slap on 5 stars immediately

The Beatles Rule Thumbs Up "She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,what a musical masterpiece from a bloke who is still a kid when it comes to that band.
I have never got over Beatlemania Embarrassed

Matt
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 10:35am
Sting - Fields Of Gold
Orff - Carmina Burana
Madredeus - Lisboa
Cesaria Evora - Cesaria

I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 10:28am

Jacques Brel sounds interesting - what other favourites of his do you have? I'm going to check out 'Brel' later tomorrow

Well, Brel like most "French" singers (he was Belgian, of course, but he's associated to French because the man was a lover of French language) before the 70's, he didn't really make "albums" proper  - most his 50's and early 60's "albums" were released on 10" vinyls, (not 12"), which are kind of EP's with only 8 relatively short songs

He more or less stopped in 66 to concentrate on movies and opera (Man Of La Mancha - Don Quixote), then contracted lung cancer in 77... This Brel album (his only real "Album") dates from that time, recorded a few months before his death and released days before it.
It's like a testament.... really poignant songs, where he really unleashes his wraths on idiots (he always did, but here he was mercyless) of all kinds and sings his last throes...

So if you want to get another Brel at first (other than that album), you'd better get a "best of", which are generally indeed his best of.... Better yet, if you can find a live DVD, go for that.... to get an idea how formidable a performer he was
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 9:06am
Some non-jazzy all-time favorites:

Prince Jammy "Kamikaze Dub"
Public Enemy "It takes a Nation of Millions"
EPMD "Unfinished Business"
Deep Purple "Made in Japan"
Milton Babbit "Ensembles for Synthesizer"
Stockhausen "Opus 1970"
Michael Jackson "Off the Wall"

Edited by js - 13 Jan 2012 at 9:02am
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 8:24am
Yeah, I agree - Roy & Bungle are most definitely progressive (while not being 'classic prog') - perhaps I ought to have put 'classic' prog up in the title?

Some classics here especially, Sean: (on a related note, what did you think of 'Painkiller' by Judas Priest?)

RHCP - SBSMagik
Judas Priest - Sad Wings Of Destiny
Ten Years After - Cricklewood Green (kind of psych-prog blues, but wtf)

Reviews...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic