0 [0.00%]
1 [25.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprinceofjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Funky Soul Jazz Album
    Posted: 01 Jan 2012 at 9:30pm
Personally I think Soul Jazz, Especially the Hammond organ based Variety, gets the short end of the stick, Most of choices here are Blue Note Record releases, all released after the sale to Liberty Records, Most of the Big Blue Note collectors turn their noses up at those original pressings, and don't care much for the Commercial style.

It is hard not to like this earthy and funky style of music, with its in the pocket grooves and danceable rhythms,  usually enough variety in the arrangements and Solos to satisfy my need for complexity, but some times I don't want complexity, I want to just feel the groove and not worry too much about trying to figure out the music, I will leave that for John Zorn's more difficult works.

These are my favorites "in this style" from these respective artists.

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2012 at 10:02pm
I love good Soul Jazz, but don't care for some of the more generic knock-offs some of these guys would put out.
I voted for "Root Down", way more aggressive, energetic and modern than your usual Jimmy Smith fare, but I also like a lot of his old laid back Blue Note blues too.
I discovered Soul Jazz as great late night drinking music when I was in music school, I still have my old Jimmy Smith blue note comps that I listened to back then.

Edited by js - 01 Jan 2012 at 10:02pm
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2012 at 10:38pm
A few here that I haven't heard, so I've got to go with Root Down too, as it's one of my favourite Jimmy Smith releases,
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 3:48am
Haven't bheard any of these albums on this list  (some artistes are even unknown to me), but I'll check some out, even if soul-jazz is not really my thing...
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 7:47am
Did nobody vote for Lou Donaldson? George Benson participates in this album, too. The album which is not bad.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 1:35pm
I went for Lou, I have not heard them all but about half. Never heard "Root Down" by Jimmy but I will keep it  in mind.  I have  seven albums by him but only one is when he was at Verve which is "The Cat". Charles Earland I have heard great things about and actually have been looking out for something by him to turn up on record. His "Leaving The Planet" album has great comments and reviews.

I don't reckon "Alligator Boogaloo" is Lou's best but it is still good.
Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic