3 [75.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blue Note Changers and Avante
    Posted: 26 Dec 2011 at 4:19pm
I know Bud Powell and Monk? but they did something that was game changing as with Herbie Nicholls. They did Jazz in their own distinct manner. Do not forget that Monk's Blue Note recordings are the first of many of those classics he composed. Bud Powell's  first two albums are lessons on piano playing to say the least.  Herbie was Herbie. he did it his way.
Matt
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2011 at 4:21pm
You forgot Grachan Moncur III!

Out of those I'm still not really sure, what would you recommend me by George Braith, Bud Powell and Herbie Nicholls?
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2011 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Abraxas Abraxas wrote:

You forgot Grachan Moncur III!
Trust you to notice Big smile Pablo
Out of those I'm still not really sure, what would you recommend me by George Braith, Bud Powell and Herbie Nicholls?
I knew I'd miss one. My excuse is he is between Hank Mobley and Monk in my collection and the two albums disappear in the middle.EmbarrassedLOL

George Braith you can get the whole lot The Complete Blue Note sessions. He played two horns at once. Not bad hey Clap, Love his take of "Mary had a Little Lamb" He was different.

Herbie Nicholls....."The Prophetic Vol 1 and 2. He really was the first to start that  disjoint in his sound and technique. They were done in 1955. Art Blakey is drumming. He wrote all his own stuff. Great trio albums. I have them seperate Pablo.

Bud Powell is "The Amazing Bud Powell"  The line up is great. Sonny Rollins and Fats Navarro are on the first half and trio for the rest Max Roach is drumming
Matt
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2011 at 5:54pm
^thanks for that, will keep them in mind!Thumbs Up
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2011 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

Bud Powell is "The Amazing Bud Powell"  The line up is great.

I follow this opinion, too.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2011 at 2:28am
I went for Eric, only the one album but what an album. I left off Sam Rivers as well as Grachan Moncur. Alright no excuse I know. Embarrassed 

Bud Powell is Bop but I stuck him here due to the importance of his early material at Blue Note.

George Braith is one strange one being sort of Soul with organ but not Hard Bop really either. One can also argue where is Ken Mcintyre. I like some of their stuff but I would not rate it essential Blue Note.

Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2011 at 6:00pm
T Monk
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic