JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Free Jazz (part 1)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which album do you like the most?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [36.36%]
7 [63.64%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Free Jazz (part 1)
    Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 4:57pm
Ok, hopefully I'll make a trend of these polls focusing now on Free Jazz which I'm listening quite a lot lately, not necessarily liking it all haha, but I'm in the mood for it.

So it's two huge albums, Ascension and Free Jazz, which one do you like the most?

You can also mention another free jazz album by these artists that you like better.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 5:07pm
"Free Jazz" for me. I find Ascension to be mostly un-listenable (though I admit, it's been a long time since I threw that one on). Free Jazz has more of a pastoral feel and is more "accessible" if you will.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

"Free Jazz" for me. I find Ascension to be mostly un-listenable (though I admit, it's been a long time since I threw that one on). Free Jazz has more of a pastoral feel and is more "accessible" if you will.

Any Trane album you like from his free jazz era?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 5:16pm
"Free Jazz", one of the coolest jazz records ever, I have a review up for it too.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by Abraxas Abraxas wrote:

Well, any Coltrane that Ive listened to in the last year or two, has been pre-1965 albums (including A Love Supreme).

But from what I remember, besides A Love Supreme, I enjoyed First Meditations, One Down, One Up: Live at the Half Note (which I believe is from '66(?)), and Transition. Those are the only later Coltrane albums I own/heard. Sometime this winter I'm sure I'll dust off some of those albums and throw them on.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 5:46pm
Ornie for me CoolSax man 

To be honest I do not like Coltrane's last albums much. Loses me around about 1967.

Edited by Matt - 21 Dec 2011 at 5:48pm
Matt
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 5:53pm

Originally posted by Abraxas Abraxas wrote:

Well, any Coltrane that Ive listened to in the last year or two, has been pre-1965 albums (including A Love Supreme).

But from what I remember, besides A Love Supreme, I enjoyed First Meditations, One Down, One Up: Live at the Half Note (which I believe is from '66(?)), and Transition. Those are the only later Coltrane albums I own/heard. Sometime this winter I'm sure I'll dust off some of those albums and throw them on.

I see, we pretty much coincide on this. I also really like First Meditations and Transition, since they actually keep up the post-bop of previous years. 

I'll have to re-listen to Free Jazz to make my opinion, but yeah, Ascension is pretty noisy!
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 5:53pm
Here's my number one.

Matt
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 5:54pm
Both albums sound like the same music to me. Joking aside. Free Jazz of Coleman will be an important album. I think that the listener who is interested in AG Jazz may make a model of this album.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

Here's my number one.

That'll be in another poll... Wink
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 11:28pm
Not alot of love for the noisy Coltrane eh?

I'll vote there. Free Jazz is fun and all but Asecension just seems more intense to me, and thats what I ike in my free jazz.

I do need more late Trane though.
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 3:32am
well, while I will re-evaluate Ornette's works in the coming months, there is no way I can not vote for Trane
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

darkprinceofjazz View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprinceofjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 9:42am
Personally I like them both, But Free Jazz was the first I really got into, it is indeed more accessible, A great way to prime your ears for harder to digest stuff, Ascension really is fantastic, Coltrane makes Coleman sound like an amateur in my opinion, but that is the charm of Coleman's music and sound for me, Listen to Coleman's  Trumpet Playing on Jackie McLeans's New and old Gospel album, you will cringe the first time you hear it.

If you really want your mind blown, you must hear Peter Brotzmann's Machine Gun, 1968 was the year, you won't believe your ears, Then again, You might need a month away from Music after you do listen to it.

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 9:54am
For me both are of the same level - Ornette's is revolutionary and more interesting than pleasant, Coltrane's is quirky and twisted. No vote
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 9:56am
Originally posted by darkprinceofjazz darkprinceofjazz wrote:

If you really want your mind blown, you must hear Peter Brotzmann's Machine Gun, 1968 was the year, you won't believe your ears, Then again, You might need a month away from Music after you do listen to it.

Vandermark and Gustafsson continue this tradition LOL
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 10:54am
I need another 5-10 years of jazz listening before I dare to dig these
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 11:07am
^ sounds optimistic LOL
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 11:49am
^ well, I reckon that if it took me 10 years to dig 'Kind Of Blue', now that I'm listening more intense to jazz, 5-10 years might be enough...Wink
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 4:09pm

I saw Brotzmann's Full Blast group at Carmeaux' 2010 RIO fest, and he's still a little too much. (for me anyway)... that doublefree-sax attack is awesome (but I'm not sure it was in the positive term of the expression
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 5:40pm

Easily the best free jazz album I've heard. Nothing I've found has even matched it's intensity.
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic