JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Holdsworth moments

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckyspell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Holdsworth moments
    Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 11:08am
List your favorite Holdsworth moments. They can be shows (or bootlegs), albums, songs, or solos (especially among the numerous he's done as a sidesman or guest on albums). If you'd like to, say why they are your favorites.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 6:48pm
I always loved "Spider Finger". He is an isolated guitar player, but the influence that he gave other guitar players will be very big. If he was a little richer, I thought that he did not make the album such as "Flat Tire". Or I am convinced that I did not sell three guitars which he owned in a Japanese musical instruments store either.

I.O.U.
Road Games
Then

These albums are the albums that his spirit and passion are felt in particular. Probably I omitted it because I thought that other forum members might give his performance that they performed in the 70s to a candidate.

Of course I own some bootleg.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 4:39pm
Despite being released without his OK Velevet Darkness is my favorite self-titled album so far.  For the Alan approved, I.O.U.  I had the good fortune of being able to meet the band after the show on that tour and have an autographed inner sleeve. Big smile

Still I think I prefer his work as a sideman.  There's not a single album he's been on where he wouldn't have been missed.

Edited by Slartibartfast - 20 Dec 2011 at 4:39pm
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Despite being released without his OK Velevet Darkness is my favorite self-titled album so far.  For the Alan approved, I.O.U.  I had the good fortune of being able to meet the band after the show on that tour and have an autographed inner sleeve. Big smile

Still I think I prefer his work as a sideman.  There's not a single album he's been on where he wouldn't have been missed.

It is splendid experience. By the way, did you have I.O.U. do his signature? I have Velvet Darkness, too. Because a melody of the music that I went for this album in Igginbottom and Gong is performed in different form, the fan can enjoy it.

I have heard it as a rumor before. AH felt dissatisfaction for contents of Velvet Darkness. And it is a rumor to say that he gives a dirty look when he holds out vinyl of Velvet Darkness because a fan gets his signature. Or it may be true not a rumor.LOL
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 3:24pm
Holdsworth on his album "All Night Wrong", especially Funnels.

His appearance on Planet X's "Quantum" album.

Those are just off the top of my head.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 3:32pm
Holdsworth's soloing on Hazard Profile Pt. 1 has always been killer for me. And although he does ramble a bit, I just really like that raw style of his.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 3:34am
I've always thought Holdsworth's best moments were part of a group, rather than in his solo works

Nucleus, Lifetime, Soft Machine, UK, etc....
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 11:47am
Agh, I forgot about Lifetime! How silly of me!
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 6:50pm
After Tony Williams died, he went "Fred" and "Proto Cosmos" frequently live, but thinks that I really grew up as a repertory of Holdsworth now.
Dean Watson View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 5:34am
Alan's solo in "Devil Take the Hindmost".  Positively the most well structured 'long' solo he has done.
Find me at:

http://deanwatson.bandcamp.com/track/Fantasizer
New CD "Fantasizer!" out now!
Dean Watson View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 5:40am
My favorite Holdsworth moment ...

I took my son who was about 22 at the time down to Rochester to see AH.  He is a real fan ( he grew up listening to AH music being played all the time ).  We got to our hotel and I said, lets walk down to the venue to see where it is.  We got there and I said "wouldn't it be wild if we just saw AH standing here?".  We turned around and there was Al.  Of course my son ( Taylor ) freaked a bit.  We chatted with him and he went off to set up.  We got back to the hotel and were eating dinner.  I said "wouldn't it be wild if Al was staying here?".  We turn around and there he is sitting at the bar eating his dinner!  We got to the show ( which was awesome, as usual - not enough people though! ) I said to Taylor, "lets hurry back and get to the bar, I just know Alan will be there!".  Sure enough, we're sitting there and Chad Wackerman and him walk in!  He was right beside us!  We let them have a drink or two then discussed the show with them ( in his usual self, Al was dissappointed with the performance ) We assured him it was awesome then left them alone and went to our room.

All in all, I couldn't have asked for a better birthday present for Taylor - he'll always have that to remember!
That was my favorite Allan moment for sure!
Find me at:

http://deanwatson.bandcamp.com/track/Fantasizer
New CD "Fantasizer!" out now!
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 11:59am
Nice story, its cool you didn't bug him too much,  ...as I have done myself to others before Ermm
1983 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 10:02am
For me it has to be Holdsworth's work with U.K., a fantastic supergroup which combines my two favourite music genres; prog rock and jazz fusion. Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic