JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New From Los Angeles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justfrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New From Los Angeles
    Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 12:22am
Hello everyone,
I just found this forum, and am very excited to talk to other jazz fans.  I like some of just about every subgenre of jazz that I've listened to.  The first jazz record that really got its hooks into me was A Night in Tunisia by Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers.  That started something of a compulsive collecting habit, that has been going on for the last 15 years, though less successfully since an amoeba records moved to town and put all of the little shops out of business.  My favorite jazz musician is Charles Mingus, and Eric Dolphy is a very close second.  I tend to like bebop, post-bop, avant garde jazz from the late 60's and early 70's the most.  Other favorite artists are Jaki Byard, Sun Ra, Coltrane, Nels Cline, Thelonious Monk, Francois Rabbath, and Jimmy Giuffre.  I also listen to a lot of punk rock from the 70s and 80s.  I recently started doing a couple of podcasts for friends who are interested in finding good jazz but don't know where to begin, and I really enjoy it.  If you'd like to listen they can be found at the following links:

< ="text/"> p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica}

https://soundcloud.com/user-318336554/out-there-1/s-2kqwn

and

https://soundcloud.com/user-318336554/wednesday-night-prayer-meeting-2/s-quOEN

please excuse if sharing them is in violation of forum rules.  

Glad to join the board,
Frank just Frank
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 7:56am
Hi Frank, welcome to the site, a lot of your favorites are favorites of mine too.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic