JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

similar artists to john martyn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josh D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: similar artists to john martyn
    Posted: 11 Nov 2011 at 7:09pm
anyone know some similar artists to john martyn? .......I just discovered him and I am lloking to feed on simlar good music.....I also like van morrison.....

Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2011 at 7:23pm
Welcome to the site. I was not familiar with the musician whom you showed, but I imagined Joni Mitchell when I thought about general musicality.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 1:32am
Originally posted by josh D josh D wrote:

anyone know some similar artists to john martyn? .......I just discovered him and I am lloking to feed on simlar good music.....I also like van morrison.....

Welcome Josh;

it's a bit unsual to look for John Martyn in JMA, but he did have a jazz slant on some albums .... but he was first a folk artiste that slowly veered progressive.... In some ways, his musical progression reminds me a bit of Tim Buckley, but to say that they sounded alike

Are you looking at the Echoplex he's used on his guitar, I  know others  used the device on other instruments.

Edited by Sean Trane - 12 Nov 2011 at 1:32am
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Dick Heath View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 11:55am
Looking at the UK collective of folk musicians, nobody pushed toward the jazz blues quite as hard as John Martyn. The John Renbourne and late Bert Jansch included blues in their repertoire but didn't attack the music as Martyn did. And then American Stefan Grossman played traditional blues like a folkie. Roy Harper had a similar agression but .... So Tim Buckley is about as close as I think with an original fusion of jazz and folk. Joni Mitchell was something else to cherish, even the albums with Jaco Pastorius. Davey Graham???? Richard Thompson I don't think so.  What about the TIms (e.g. Rose) and Toms (eg. Paxton) of American folk in the 60's and 70's?

Edited by Dick Heath - 21 Nov 2011 at 11:57am
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2011 at 3:59am
Originally posted by Dick Heath Dick Heath wrote:

Looking at the UK collective of folk musicians, nobody pushed toward the jazz blues quite as hard as John Martyn. The John Renbourne and late Bert Jansch included blues in their repertoire but didn't attack the music as Martyn did. And then American Stefan Grossman played traditional blues like a folkie. Roy Harper had a similar agression but .... So Tim Buckley is about as close as I think with an original fusion of jazz and folk. Joni Mitchell was something else to cherish, even the albums with Jaco Pastorius. Davey Graham???? Richard Thompson I don't think so.  What about the TIms (e.g. Rose) and Toms (eg. Paxton) of American folk in the 60's and 70's?

Well, Pentangle definitely mixed jazz, blues and folk , but you're right, both Renbourn and Jansch seemed to shun the jazz in their solo output... But in Pentangle, the jazzman was the extraordinary Danny Thompson >> one of my fave contrabassist (and Terry Cox, to a lesser extent)... and it's no small coincidence that the jazzier John Martyn album were with DT, just like once Tim Biuckley played two or three UK concerts with DT, his next albums (Happy Sad, Lorca, Starsailor) were his jazziest... also DT had played withMcL before Pentangle

Common smallest denominator seemed Danny Thompson, in this case...

mixing jazz & folk is also a partof Oregon, but it depends whether you consider Indian trad music as "folk"
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Dick Heath View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 8:56am
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Dick Heath Dick Heath wrote:

Well, Pentangle definitely mixed jazz, blues and folk , but you're right, both Renbourn and Jansch seemed to shun the jazz in their solo output... But in Pentangle, the jazzman was the extraordinary Danny Thompson >> one of my fave contrabassist (and Terry Cox, to a lesser extent)... and it's no small coincidence that the jazzier John Martyn album were with DT, just like once Tim Biuckley played two or three UK concerts with DT, his next albums (Happy Sad, Lorca, Starsailor) were his jazziest... also DT had played withMcL before Pentangle

Common smallest denominator seemed Danny Thompson, in this case...

mixing jazz & folk is also a partof Oregon, but it depends whether you consider Indian trad music as "folk"

True

DT has the flair to fuse jazz and folk - worth rooting about and digging out some of his Hannibal Records releases. BTW last weekend BBC 4 had a compilation of clips entitled California AT The BBC. Tim Buckley appeared with DT on bass and Mr Wallace of King Crimson on drums as backing.
Frederic_Alderon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frederic_Alderon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 2:39pm
there's lots of artists similar to this
try Roy Harper - https://open.spotify.com/album/3Ig1uF278ur7E0W8mcMgD2
and The Incredible String Band - https://open.spotify.com/album/3htu0UsV5JuouSfugMHNgS

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic