JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which album has the most reviews on JMA?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which album has the most reviews on JMA?
    Posted: 23 Oct 2011 at 3:08am
To begin, this is not a vital question, more something to satisfy my curiosity, so I'm curious if anyone happens to know the answer.

I wondered which album(s) had the highest number of reviews? I know that our top 3 albums (at the mo) have around 5 reviews each, but also around 20-50 ratings each. Conversely, I've seen some of the Fusion albums have a few more than 5 reviews with similar ratings.

Of course, early days for the site and so the numbers above make sense, but I did wonder which album had the most reviews. I'm going to keep looking!
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2011 at 7:09am
Probably a rock album, ha ha.
But seriously, probably one of the major Miles releases, or maybe something by Mahavishnu, or possibly Zappa or Soft Machine. Also Caravanserai and Crossings, if its reviews and ratings both, some of the major Coltrane albums rate high.

Edited by js - 23 Oct 2011 at 1:57pm
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2011 at 12:23pm
What John said
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 4:05am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

But seriously, probably one of the major Miles releases, or maybe something by Mahavishnu, or possibly Zappa or Soft Machine. Also Caravanserai and Crossings, if its reviews and ratings both, some of the major Coltrane albums rate high.

I'm kind of guilty of not having reviewed Coltrane albums yet... but I'll come around to it, once I get cleared of my backlog of albums for PA reviews

But I know what you're saying.... the fact that most of us are from PA, makes it that JR/F albums have the most reviews

I just wished some more non-fusionheads would review other styles.
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 9:18am
Ok, after some more browsing here's what I've found - I've mostly check artists/albums I thought might have a big number

Kind of Blue =
5 Reviews (51 Ratings)
In a Silent Way = 5 Reviews (35 Ratings)
Bitches Brew = 4 Reviews (36 Ratings)
Caravanserai = 6 Reviews (25 Ratings)
Love Devotion Surrender = 4 Reviews (12 Ratings)
Birds of Fire = 7 Reviews (36 Ratings)
Head Hunters = 6 Reviews (24 Ratings)
A Love Supreme = 2 Reviews (33 Ratings)
Red Clay = 1 Review (6 Ratings) Cry
Monkey Jungle = 1 Review (7 Ratings)
Electric Ladyland = 2 Reviews (9 Ratings)
I Sing the Body Electric = 3 Reviews (15 Ratings)
The Shape of Jazz to Come = 0 Reviews (12 Ratings)
Koln Concert = 2 Reviews (17 Ratings)
Hot Rats = 2 Reviews (27 Ratings)
Apostrophe = 2 Reviews (19 Ratings)

I'm sure there's an album that's had ten reviews somewhere, but I can't find it yet. Keen to see it happen though!
I suppose there's really nothing to drawn from this in the way of conclusions that haven't already been drawn, but it's still interesting to me to see some of those results. Like the Reviews/Ratings ratios on some - like 'Kind of Blue' and 'Love Devotion Surrender' for instance.

Actually, what it does make me ask myself is, are some albums harder to review than others due to their 1) lack of reviews or 2) amount of reviews?  I know the biggest thing that's kept me getting to 100 reviews yet, is time. It takes time to write a review and there's so much to do.

If nothing else, this list has shown me some stellar albums I've yet to review.

Really awesome to be working on the site so early. I guess I like feeling useful hahaha! Tongue

Reviews...
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 9:20am
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I'm kind of guilty of not having reviewed Coltrane albums yet... but I'll come around to it, once I get cleared of my backlog of albums for PA reviews

But I know what you're saying.... the fact that most of us are from PA, makes it that JR/F albums have the most reviews

I just wished some more non-fusionheads would review other styles.

Me too, or at least, I've only done 1 so far!

Definitely, Caravanserai has around 6 I think, and Birds of Fire beats it by 1 or 2 from memory. I thought Miles would be on top - though Kind of Blue has one of the highest ratings at 51 - not bad!
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 9:34am
No one should feel obligated to review any certain kind of music. 
When people review music they don't understand, its obvious and makes for embarrassing reading.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 9:37am

No one should feel obligated to review any certain kind of music. 
When people review music they don't understand, its obvious and makes for embarrassing reading.

I still feel a little obligated, in that, I want to keep building the site and I do have four or so more Coltrane albums that I've owned for years and just haven't got to reviewing yet. Actually, I have been jumping all over the genres with my reviews of late. Keeps me fresh (I hope!)

Edited by dreadpirateroberts - 24 Oct 2011 at 9:38am
Reviews...
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 2:06am
A sketchy update - about 2 months and a bit later - again, more to satisfy my curiosity rather than to complete any serious survey.  As my data was taken from such a small pool in the first place, and this update is smaller yet, it's not of any real use, but it was fun to do.

An upturn in Ratings and Reviews for the classics

Kind of Blue = 6 Reviews (57 Ratings)                        + 1 and 6
In a Silent Way = 6 Reviews (38 Ratings)                    + 1 and 3
Caravanserai = 7 Reviews (30 Ratings)                        + 1 and 5
Birds of Fire = 7 Reviews (38 Ratings)                         + 0 and 0
Head Hunters = 6 Reviews (26 Ratings)                       + 0 and 2
A Love Supreme = 3 Reviews (38 Ratings)                    + 1 and 5
Red Clay = 2 Review (8 Ratings)                                 + 1 and 2
I Sing the Body Electric = 3 Reviews (16 Ratings)        + 0 and 1
Koln Concert = 2 Reviews (17 Ratings)                        + 0 and 0
Hot Rats = 4 Reviews (30 Ratings)                              + 2 and 3

What's probably a more interesting stat for the site, is the amount of reviews total, that are being written per week. I might try and calculate last week....

EDIT

30 Reviews in the last 7 days.  I like it.

Edited by dreadpirateroberts - 08 Jan 2012 at 2:09am
Reviews...
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 2:43am
Maybe you can check how many reviews were written for 2010 and 2011 releases
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 2:54am
Can do!...Actually, this will take a while. I've got to figure out an automated way of doing so.

At least 51 reviewed for 2011

Struggling to find a way to automatically figure out 2010, and I will have to check that review count on 2011 to be sure

Edited by dreadpirateroberts - 08 Jan 2012 at 3:08am
Reviews...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic