Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New release vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New release vinyl
    Posted: 13 Oct 2011 at 3:42pm
I have noticed since I have been back in the record market that some of the new vinyl is not exactly A1. I had one where the hole was to small ( stanley knife fixed that problem) but still one should not be expanding your records hole when newConfused (Tito Puente) .
The other is a beauty. Latin album again and this one I was playing brand new and yet it sounded like it already had 50 spins Confused Checked record Lamp A, HA...........they did not have the master and recorded the record from an old record Wink

New Swing Sextet...........did someone  knock the stamper.......bit of a pop on one track but no damage to brand new record Confused 

Yeah independants God love em', because we need em'. Minor issues really though.

I hate paper sleeves that are to big for the cover. What is wrong with the old plastic ones and also you have the added bonus of not having bits of fluff from the paper on your brand new vinyl.

Signed Grumpy
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2011 at 3:53pm
I bought one of those classic Funkadelic 180 gram re-issues and it had a big tick in a quiet part. I could not find any offending matter on the LP and found out later that they recorded the new album from an old album because the masters were lost.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2011 at 4:21pm
I don't mind them doing that but they should say it John. I know going on about Bear Family again but they tell you and they don't hide the fact. They even recommend that some material should not be listened too on Headphones as it only emphasis's the fact.

Sometimes the masters are gone or damaged. I was checking out the record holding it in the light with my crappy vision  LOL It was Boogaloo and Shingaling.
Nothing obscure Wink
Matt
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2011 at 11:11pm
I have had good luck the past couple years, knock on wood (head actually). Last summer I bought Yes Relayer 180gram $22.99, and at the end of Gates of Delirium there was a large pop which made the needle skip 1-2 grooves......Uuuughh. I brought it back and then a week later found a used one for $9.99, plays perfect.
What I have found in new re-issue vinyl is warpage......some has been severe, where most is subtle but it is there.

I hope in the next year some of these "issues" will be fixed as I plan to step up my new vinyl buying. I have to say though, here in Seattle we have some very, very good used vinyl stores as compared to other cities I have been in, pretty high standards I must say....I have been very pleased.
My jazz collection....a work in progress.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 12:28pm
You are not the only one Jose. My new Mongo Santamaria is a bit of a roller coaster for the turntable arm. Luckily though the needle sticks in the groove and does not jump.

Matt
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 12:39pm
Oh, my prospective Son In law said to me last night. "I might get a turntable". I replied, "I hope you realise that I don't loan records out" Tongue . I learnt my lesson many years back. I won't even loan some stuff to my wife. LOL She has adjusted to my eccentricties over the years. 30 now we have been married.
Matt
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 8:33pm
^ Ahhhh yes. I have loaned out vinyl and have never received it back.......I also do not loan out vinyl. Wanna listen? You can come over and I'll play what you like......BTW..I Love Mongo, I have been unlucky finding any of his vinyl, although I have only been looking in the used bins.
Digital downloads for now until I strike it rich!
My jazz collection....a work in progress.
darkprinceofjazz View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprinceofjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 8:10pm
I almost always stay away from "New Vinyl' always sounds like a faint copy at best, and usually, in my humble opinion, never sounds better than a CD,  Especially Blue Notes, Perfect example, I have the CD for Lee Morgan's The sidwinder, I bought a current vinyl reissue and it was dull and lifeless, no sound stage at all. Then when I was fortunate enough to find an original mono press in nice condition, even with the light surface noise, the sound explodes from the speakers, booming bass, the detail is astounding to me, the sound stage just seems so vibrant, even those second and third pressing mid 70's Blue Notes sound fantastic in comparison. I will always go for one of those "LIBERTY" pressings from the 70's over a current reissue, and many times they are the same price.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic