FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

London Scene 60's and 70's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2011 at 3:15am
I'm very much into the London jazz scene of the the 60's & 70's...

I don't have time right now, but I'll sure as hell return to this thread later

Might i actually suggest a move of this thread to another forum in the Jazz Lounge???

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 7:38pm
The site has already had Stomu Yamash*ta.

Moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 6:11pm
Hi,

I was thinking Stomu Yamash'ta, although later he became a bit more new age'y in his work. But his earlier stuff, not sure if it fits the jazz description or just experimental, or the "conglomeration" areas in music.

Might be worth while, if someone has the patience and ability -- I don't -- to put together the massive London Jazz scene and names ... they are in the 100's and a very large segment was in the Canterbury area, and not necessarily related to Soft Machine and it's family tree.

I have to admit that I did not follow, or listen to these that much, and I did have a chance to more than once, and passed on things like Isotope and many others, because my interests were leaning in other directions.

I was never into "jazz" at all ... I was into music, regardless of what it was called, or defined as. I simply close my eyes and live and die with it, and it can be Keith Jarrett, as well as Vangelis, Tangerine Dream or Klaus Schulze or Frank Zappa ... so a lot of the "secondary" (my term!) schools of music that came about were not totally in my ears.

It is interesting to see Robert Wyatt's work, coming from such a well regarded and known jazz outfit, but in his solo albums I think that we will find that he is not quite a jazz musician at all and was actually trying to turn it upside down from the pedestal that it lived on ... thus his famous ABC ... at the end of a long piece. His solo albums are almost all exclusively wide open experimentation, free form and out right ... turn it on and go ... no rehearsal ... and the result is the result ... what used to be called "The Living Theater" which was different each and every night. So this would fit more into a free form stuff than any jazz format.

Would also like to see the board open things up even better ... and someone write on the German Jazz scne in the 70's ... Japan's experimental and jazz scene's since the 70's ... and some of the other European schools in jazz, because some of them are so far out that sometimes we wonder ... is that jazz? ... because the only relation that we have for the word "jazz" is the one that comes from America in the 50's and 60's ... that dominate most jazz discussions ... while good, they were not the only originators of the music style that became known as "jazz".
... And then one day, the prophet said that you and I would know what is art ... and real!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic