FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Funk! I need more!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 1:12pm
Hey Salty..great question! I love funk to the max!!! A lot of great stuff already listed. I did not see the following (pardon if I am blind..)

The Ohio Players
Neville Brothers
Maze with Frankie Beverly
Slave
Rufus
Average White Band
Bootsy
Graham Central Station
War

My jazz collection....a work in progress.
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 10:49am
Do you agree that Eddie Henderson is the funkiest artist?
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 10:42am
Originally posted by Katje Katje wrote:

Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I'm telling you, James Brown is the funkiest. Some get close, some get damn close, but no one had the tightest bands like James Brown did. Get Up Offa That Thing!!!

Word to this.

Also, check Betty Davis' first two albums: Self Titled & They Say I'm different.

Earlier someone linked to soul jazz records, shift through some of their comps, they're usually pretty solid. There's been countless reissue/unearthed comps come out in the last 5 -10 year many of which are well worth the listen; this one from last year I liked http://rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/kon_and_amir/off_track_volume_iii__brooklyn/. I'm not near my collection at the moment so I'm struggling to think of stuff off the top of ma head (not to mention youtube is block in this country). http://www.dustygroove.com/ is a great resource/shop dedicated to this type of stuff. Checked the front page then and was reminded of Tim Maia that Racional Vol. 2 is killer, Brazil's gotta slew of this type of stuff.  
Thanks for the Kon & Amir tip, I'll get the Queens volume from my library. Right now I'm listening to this fine Soul Jazz Records compilation: http://www.souljazzrecords.co.uk/releases/?id=10295 As it's Jamaican it's very reggaeish, very good.
Katje View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 2:32am
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I'm telling you, James Brown is the funkiest. Some get close, some get damn close, but no one had the tightest bands like James Brown did. Get Up Offa That Thing!!!

Word to this.

Also, check Betty Davis' first two albums: Self Titled & They Say I'm different.

Earlier someone linked to soul jazz records, shift through some of their comps, they're usually pretty solid. There's been countless reissue/unearthed comps come out in the last 5 -10 year many of which are well worth the listen; this one from last year I liked http://rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/kon_and_amir/off_track_volume_iii__brooklyn/. I'm not near my collection at the moment so I'm struggling to think of stuff off the top of ma head (not to mention youtube is block in this country). http://www.dustygroove.com/ is a great resource/shop dedicated to this type of stuff. Checked the front page then and was reminded of Tim Maia that Racional Vol. 2 is killer, Brazil's gotta slew of this type of stuff.  
Tychovski View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tychovski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 6:35pm
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 11:41am
How about Lettuce, don't get much more funky than this

sorry it's for the Rock Band game, but it is the studio version from their album "Rage"

darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 10:43pm
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 7:55pm
Thanks everyone!  I'll keep keeping an eye on this thread, good suggestions so far. 
The Truth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 5:55pm
Can't say I know much funk other than Funkadelic.

Then again, nothing can be better than Maggot Brain. Heart
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 2:49am
You might want to check out the New Orleans Funk compilation released by Soul Jazz Records, I've gotten plenty of enjoyment out of it Thumbs Up

Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2011 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by Abraxas Abraxas wrote:

^That's sooo groovy! Like Earth, Wind & Fire meets the jazzier stuff of Parliament, or something. Thanks!
Thank you for liking it. Hug
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2011 at 7:10pm
^That's sooo groovy! Like Earth, Wind & Fire meets the jazzier stuff of Parliament, or something. Thanks!
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2011 at 7:02pm
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2011 at 6:06pm
Has no one mentioned James Brown in a funk thread?

Asmodean View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asmodean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2011 at 6:05pm
Steely Dan have some funky tunes like Josie, and Deacon Blues, Home at Last, Bodishatwa,

stellar funk/prog/jazz song

Edited by Asmodean - 07 Apr 2011 at 6:07pm
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2011 at 4:49pm
Thanks for the recs so far, some new and some I already know (Fela Kuti and Attention Deficit especially), just what I'm looking for.  I'll listen to more later, gotta get ready for my chem lab now. Dead
andyman1125 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2011 at 4:41pm
Wet, thick, funky funk.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2011 at 4:07pm
First of all, welcome Jon! I'm 'The Quiet One' just in case. Wink

As for the recs:

Check the early Earth, Wind & Fire stuff, especially The Need of Love:

Some funky Larry Young:

Not really sure how much you would like Stevie Wonder, but I was fascinated by Innervisions:

Some Pharoahs:

Fela Kuti? Not pure funk, but a lot of groove:

Billy Cobham, one of the funkiest fusion ever:

I think that'll do, hope you like some.

Edited by Abraxas - 07 Apr 2011 at 4:09pm
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2011 at 2:03pm
The title describes the topic well enough...I'm a fan of the gritty, dirty type of funk more than the clean, excessively polished brand.  Any suggestions for groups to check out?  I already know the following: Funkadelic, Parliament, Graham Central Station (they're kind of a mix, but that bass!), Sly and the Family Stone, The Meters, basically only the big groups.  Suggestions?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic