Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Capital Punishment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Capital Punishment
    Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 5:44pm
After the execution of Troy Davis, thought if anybody has any comments. If you a for Capital Punsihment say so. I am against yet my wife is the opposite. We have not executed anybody here since the late 1960's. I still remember it, he was an escaped prisoner, killed a jail warden and a couple of others on the run. Ronald Ryan was his name and they hung him in the morning. His accomplice got life and has been released after doing about 25 years.

Troy Davis's case looked a bit shakey and I believe that witnesses have recanted statements since. What if the guy was innocent? Another point he has served 20 years on Death Row. That is a life sentence here and he would have been released by now. Many people will argue that they never should be let out and what they have done is unforgivable ( which I agree it is) but when the actual stats are down very few re-offend. Think about it, if you had done 20 years or more by the time you were released half your life is down the drain and age more often than not has taken its toll. Granted there are people who should never be released, mass murderers, sexual predators and severe treason in war are three cases that come to mind.

One other point if they are going to execute people get it over and done with in a couple of years. Strange how Afro -Americans seem to be real villians and not that many white fellas Wink.

It does not bring the victim back.
Matt
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2011 at 9:25am
Who can know?  If I were Troy and innocent, I'd welcome death after 20 years behind bars.  The whole thing I keep coming back to is that once capital punishment is delivered, it can't be undone.  You can't give someone back their life if they've been falsely imprisoned, but at least they can be set free. 

Edited by Slartibartfast - 24 Sep 2011 at 2:31pm
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2011 at 10:24am
Is death penalty really detering serious crime?
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2011 at 2:31pm
Yeah, since the dp war reinstated in the US dp crimes have gone down, right?  The only thing the dp stops is a particular individual's ability to kill someone. 
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2011 at 3:35pm
I haven't seen any statistics, and we could always discuss the lack of humanity/democracy/ectc...but isn't the punishment sistem used in Saudi Arabia(hand cutting for thiefs) more efficient in dettering crime?
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 6:49pm
You blokes are hard LOL I'm a softie.  The Taliban's method was they used to shot them before the soccer game, right in the stadium and if you were the victim, you were offered the oppurtunity to do it yourself.

I feel it is not neccesary.

I know that everybody loves them in the States etc, but the availablity of hand guns is the reason you have such a high murder rate. I used to shot with my Dad when I was a kid and I asked him once why we can't buy one. He replied '"what for, are you intending on shooting somebody beacause that is all they are designed for, not much chop for hunting"

I don't hunt anymore, bit of fishing but only if it will be eaten.

If they are going to execute they should do it a lot quicker. Having people sit around for ten years or more waiting?  but I still say jail them for life instead.

Matt
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 7:11pm
One other note that I feel is really unjust is why do they hand out a much harder sentence for killing a Police Officer than your average Joe. Isn't murder, murder

It's like rob a bank you get 10 years or more but rob average Joe at kinife point of all his got...........ooohhhhhhhh let him of on a Bond Confused Whats the difference?
Matt
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 3:16am
Well, in general I'm anti-death penalty (as most left-wingers are), especially so with the recent execution of Davis, where the proofs seemed quite weak (from what I've read anyway)

but I do think there should be some exceprtions, most notably when the killer is indeed a real danger to society and will most likely repeat (or is already a recidvist) if he gets loose or is released.... I'd prefer getting rid of the danger, rather than risk another victim from the killer. In this case, opposite to Christians that would be forgiving , hoping that the killer is remorseful and will regret his act, as I don't believe in redemption or he will expiate his deed.

However I must say that I find totally absurd that the life of a policeman or other officials (on duty or not) be more than a "normal" civilian.... In what way is killing a policeman in his duty worse than killing a granny or child in his life??? .

my toupée

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 9:49am
Another weird/sordid point is that the USA is only one of 23 countries left that still ap^ply the death penalty...

among which: North Korea, China, Iran, Iraq, Lybia, Russia, Yemen, Saudi arabia, Syria, Sudan Somalia, Belarus..... and Japan (amazingly enough!!)

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic