JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need more Coltrane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertwister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need more Coltrane
    Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 10:16am

Being a bit of a jazz noob I only have two Coltrane albums, "Blue Train" and 'A Love Supreme" (probably the most obvious choices)
Love both, need more. Where do I start?
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 12:04pm
Hey! Perhaps Giant Steps - another classic. My Favourite Things is great too (there are so many of course, and other members will know much more than me as I don't have dozens of John's albums)

If you wanna go for his more Free-Jazz-ish stuff  Ascension is worth a look and finally, if you don't have it already - Miles Davis' Kind of Blue features some great Coltrane.

We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 1:01pm
^I second Giant Steps and My Favorite Things, essential jazz/Trane stuff.

If you want more of his early stuff, hard bop, check Traneing In with the Red Garland Trio, or Coltrane (from 1957).

Others I really like and recommend: Africa/Brass, Coltrane's Sound, Coltrane Jazz, First Meditations, Live at Birdland.
supertwister View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertwister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 2:24pm

Well clearly, eventually I will need the whole discography Smile
Will start with the Giant Steps and My Favorite Things

Miles I know a bit better, think I have 15 albums or so by the man.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 11:44am
Not mentioned already, I really love Ole Coltrane.

Giant Steps
, Ascension, Meditations, My Favourite Things and Transition are all much loved by me.
"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple" (Charles Mingus).
Logan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 1:08pm
Check this out if you get the chance:

Marvelous, in my opinion.
"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple" (Charles Mingus).
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 6:37pm
^ Woah, I can't believe I've never heard this album, thank you, Logan. Ordering it as soon as I can.
Reviews...
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 7:35pm
Smile
Reviews...
Logan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 7:40pm
^Nice.

Regarding the one I posted, that like part of my favourite track off of the album.  It also has this, which doesn't excite me nearly so much.

Edited by Logan - 30 Oct 2011 at 7:42pm
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 11:33pm
Ive found that just about any album with Coltrane's name on it up until 1965 is very good. Anything after that is up to you depending on your tastes, since his music started to become more abstract.
MilesBeyond View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MilesBeyond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Ive found that just about any album with Coltrane's name on it up until 1965 is very good. Anything after that is up to you depending on your tastes, since his music started to become more abstract.

This.

I would definitely recommend Giant Steps as a starting point. I quite enjoy Soultrane as well, but I wouldn't call that one as essential.
Atavachron View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 1:41am
all of the above, also Settin' the Pace,  and for live I'd suggest One Down,One Up and an Italian issue i Miti del Jazz: 5 -- http://miti-del-jazz.ilsole24ore.com/johncoltrane.html

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2011 at 7:26am
Originally posted by supertwister supertwister wrote:

Being a bit of a jazz noob I only have two Coltrane albums, "Blue Train" and 'A Love Supreme" (probably the most obvious choices)

well, the album that resembles most A Love Supreme is IMHO First Meditations

Obviously linked to Meditations and being a sort of first draft of his free-jazz album, First Meditations is much muxch more like ALS, especially when it comes to the dissonance. and musicality.

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2011 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by supertwister supertwister wrote:

Obviously linked to Meditations and being a sort of first draft of his free-jazz album, First Meditations is much muxch more like ALS, especially when it comes to the dissonance. and musicality.

Agreed. That and Transition are great successors to A Love Supreme, although they were released when Trane had passed away.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2011 at 3:24am
^^^

I always meant to check Transitions.... I guess it'll be ASAP...

Thanks for the reminder... Wink
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

The Truth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 2:06pm
So Ole Coltrane is worth checking out? I'll definitely do so.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

So Ole Coltrane is worth checking out? I'll definitely do so.

I have had it on order for a few weeks, and am looking forward to it greatly, only heard one track but I am convined it will be great
Reviews...
sodr2 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sodr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 6:25am
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

just gave this one a listen and by golly im impressed
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 4:13pm
First Meditations is good. For some reason, Meditations didn't do much for me.
darkprinceofjazz View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprinceofjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 7:29pm
The Impulse! album Coltrane (1962), especially "Out of this World" 14 minutes of heaven. "Tunji" and "Miles Mode" worthy as well. great underrated album.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic