Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Guitarist Nels Cline debuts a new band

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Guitarist Nels Cline debuts a new band
    Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 11:14am
THE NELS CLINE 4 TO RELEASE

Guitarist Nels Cline debuts a new band with the April 13 release of Currents, Constellations(Blue Note) featuring The Nels Cline 4, an intrepid unit that builds upon Cline’s acclaimed collaboration with guitarist Julian Lage by adding the fierce and versatile rhythm section of bassist Scott Colley and drummer Tom Rainey. The album’s lead single “Imperfect 10” is available to stream or download today.

WATCH THE NELS CLINE 4 PERFORM “IMPERFECT 10” LIVE IN THE STUDIO

The Nels Cline 4 will celebrate the album’s release with a show at (le) poisson rouge in New York City on April 16. Tickets go on sale here on Friday, March 9 at 12:00pm ET. A European tour will follow, with Cline joined by Lage, Rainey, and bassist Jorge Roeder.

Of all the rich and varied projects guitarist Cline has pursued since his emergence as a leader in the late 1980s, his two-guitar duo with Lage, documented on the 2014 album Room, ranks among the most special. “When Julian and I started playing together it kicked my ass hard,” Cline told JazzTimes around the time of Room’s release. “At the same time it inspired me and refreshed my soul.” Lage, for his part, declared he had “found his people” playing with Cline: “At last I found a scenario where … you could be free and adventurous, you could utilize sound and be extremely melodic and evocative.”

“Even in the earliest days of the duo we used to say, ‘I wonder what we’d do if we ever had a rhythm section,’” Cline recalls. In 2016 he decided to find out by inviting Colley and Rainey to collaborate with he and Lage during a residency at The Stone in New York City. “I brought in a few themes and we just kind of went for it. Everyone was enthusiastic about continuing the work.”

Known as the lead guitarist of Wilco since 2004, and one of Rolling Stone’s “100 Greatest Guitarists,” Cline is coming off the success of his 2016 Blue Note debut Lovers, a “quietly ravishing double-album” (NY Times) featuring Cline with a large ensemble conducted and arranged by Michael Leonhart that was “wildly inventive in its watercolored way” (Rolling Stone). On Currents, Constellations Cline embraces a sparser but edgier instrumentation, which serves the adventurous thrust of the music, brimming as it does with raw energy and wild beauty.

The track listing for Currents, Constellations is as follows:

1. Furtive (Nels Cline)

2. Swing Ghost '59 (Nels Cline)

3. Imperfect 10 (Nels Cline)

4. As Close As That (Nels Cline)

5. Amenette (Nels Cline)

6. Temporarily (Carla Bley)

7. River Mouth (Parts 1 & 2) (Nels Cline)

8. For Each, A Flower (Nels Cline)

2018 Tour Dates:

April 16 — New York, NY — (le) poisson rouge — ON SALE 3/9

April 20 –  Geneva, CH – AMR - Sud des Alpes – TICKETS

April 21 – Oslo, NO – Nasjonal Jazzscene, Victoria – TICKETS

April 25 – Berlin, DE – ZigZag Club – TICKETS

April 26 – Madrid, ES – Sala Clamores – TICKETS

April 27 – Munich, DE – Unterfahrt Jazzclub – TICKETS

April 28 – Ferrara, IT –  Torrione San Giovanni – Jazz Club Ferrara – TICKETS

April 30 – Istanbul, TU – Babylon Bomonti Istanbul – TICKETS

May 2 – Kortrijk, BE –Belgium De Kreun – TICKETS

May 4 – Liége, BE – La Cité Miroir – TICKETS