JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sax or Axe ... ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sax or Axe ... ??
    Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 8:20pm
I'm quite sure thats a saxophone, although he does a very good imitation of a picking sound towards the end of the solo, still, you could do that with your mouth on a sax, sounds like he worked on that.

I supplied the song if anybody else wants to check it out and I moved this to the recommended album section.

Edited by js - 06 Mar 2018 at 8:21pm
TonyUK View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TonyUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 7:25pm
Just joined ! Folks, I have a question .... I've been listening to Buddy Rich's version of Three Day Sucker on and off for quite a few years . It's written and arranged by Bruce Lofgreen. Originally it appeared on the 1975 LP Big Band Machine, but I discovered it later in the early eighties on an Italian LP called "Giganti del Jazz Vol. 88" here in England. The question is this ; the instrumental solo...It's obviously over-driven through an amplifier, and there's a wah-wah pedal happening . . . and I KNOW this sounds like a really stupid question, BUT; what instrument is it? I'd always assumed it was guitar.... But sections of it really sound like saxophone. Not only that , but the actual notes played seem to sound very much like notes a guitarist is more likely to play in places , then very much like those a wind instrument player might choose. Almost makes me think of Allan Holdsworth in places... Not the overall feel, but his intended blend between guitar and horn sounds. Can any of you help, please? It'd be much appreciated.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic