YES — Fragile

Album · 1971

Filed under Jazz Related Rock
By YES

A1 Roundabout 8:29
A2 Cans And Brahms (Extracts From Brahms' 4th Symphony In E Minor, Third Movement) 1:35
A3 We Have Heaven 1:30
B5 Heart Of The Sunrise 10:34

Bass Guitar, Vocals – Chris Squire
Drums, Percussion – Bill Bruford
Electric Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Vocals – Steve Howe
Organ, Grand Piano, Electric Piano, Harpsichord, Mellotron, Synthesizer – Rick Wakeman
Vocals – Jon Anderson

Atlantic ‎– 2401019 (UK)

Recorded at Advision Studios, London, September 1971

Thanks to snobb for the addition

Buy YES - FRAGILE music

More places to buy metal & YES music

YES FRAGILE reviews

No YESFRAGILE reviews posted by specialists/experts yet.

Prog Zone
Review - #4 (Yes - Fragile)

Yes released their fourth studio album, Fragile, on the 26th of November in 1971. It was the band's first album to feature keyboardist Rick Wakeman, who replaced founder member Tony Kaye. Tony Kaye was said to be unwilling to develop his sound beyond his Hammond organ and piano to play newer instruments such as the Mellotron or Moog synthesizer, causing artistic disagreements with his bandmates. The rest of the band members included within this line-up was Jon Anderson on vocals, Steve Howe on guitars, Chris Squire on bass, and Bill Bruford on drums. This is considered to be Yes' "classic" lineup. Furthermore, this album is commonly viewed as the bands breakthrough release even though I consider it to be on par with their previous studio album, The Yes Album. The album, Fragile, contains nine tracks; four are "group arranged and performed" with the remaining five being "the individual ideas, personally arranged and organized" by all five members of the band. This concept has been criticized by some; however, I personally think it is a great idea executed perfectly. It has become such an iconic part of the album that anyone else that would decide to do it again would just be seen as ripping Yes off. The "individual ideas, personally arranged and organized" concept creates a seamless flow throughout the entire album while adding true depth and personality therein. Now, let's take a peek at the tracks found on the album.

Fragile kicks off with an absolute classic that no true prog fan will not immediately recognize. This song is entitled Roundabout. Even though the amount of play this song receives in comparison to the bands entire discography can sometimes get bothersome, I believe this song is truly fantastic despite it's enormous popularity. If anything, it's popularity somewhat supports the song's strength. Not to mention, the first minute of the song played on acoustic guitar is one of the most iconic openings within all of music. The rest of the song is also great, containing extraordinary instrumentation from the entire band, especially Chris Squire. Interestingly enough, Steve Howe once recalled the track was originally "a guitar instrumental suite" that he wrote. The next two songs are "individual ideas, personally arranged and organized" with the first being a classical piano piece by Rick Wakeman. Although it isn't anything mind-blowing, it still succeeds in what it is attempting to accomplish while therein being a memorable moment found within the album. The next piece, entitled "We Have Heaven" is a genuinely interesting idea conceptually and when referring to the way it is produced. Jon Anderson basically only uses his voice to create a piece of music that hasn't truly been replicated as well or at all to this day. Despite what others might think, I love it! After We Have Heaven, the album picks back up into a full band piece called South Side of the Sky. This piece begins with a gust of wind being heard blowing in the background, but suddenly, the band begins to play one of their heaviest parts to date and its done superbly. Jon Anderson's vocals really has a punch to it and it is definitely heard within the music. Not to mention the rest of the band is also playing terrific. However, a few seconds after the two-minute mark the band slows things down a commences this phenomenal piano and harmony section that still gives me chills to this day. Incredible! This continues until the six-minute mark where the band goes back to the heavier section found in the introduction of the song. This song and the rest of the "full-band" tracks found off this album are all truly examples of quality musicianship and song writing.

Side B of the album begins with an individually arranged and organized track entitled Five per Cent for Nothing which certainly is a weird opener for the second side of the album. It somewhat reminds me of a precursor for the opening of Close to the Edge. However, I still think it works and creates a similar effect to what Close to the Edge was able to do for the listener, creating both shock and confusion. The next song, composed by the entire band, is called Long Distance Runaround. If I'm truly honest, I've never been a huge fan of the song. It isn't bad by any means, but it never completely encapsulates me like the rest of the full-band tracks found on the album. Still, a good addition to the album as a whole. Now, the next song entitled The Fish (Schindleria Praematurus) is nothing less then incredible. It is a personally arranged and organized piece by Chris Squire and is my favorite "solo" piece found on the album. The song builds in a truly extraordinary way, containing great bass played from Chris Squire himself. The next song, Mood for a Day is a acoustic guitar solo piece from Steve Howe which is unbelievably beautiful and is one of his best solo guitar pieces he has ever written. This is including stuff from his solo career. The last song, Heart of the Sunrise is personally my favorite song on the album. The song starts with a bang with Steve Howe showing his skill on guitar. But then, Chris Squire begins a bass solo and wow, is it incredible! If anyone has ever played the Halo video game series, it is very similar to a theme found within the game that I almost feel as if the games creators might have been inspired by the Heart of the Sunrise. Also, Jon Anderson does one of his best vocal performances that I've heard while singing with such emotion and soul. From start to finish, it's a truly brilliant song!

Fragile is an absolute classic album for Yes and progressive rock in general that I would consider to be essential for any progressive rock collection. From the brilliantly written and preformed group pieces to the nice interluded individually written pieces from band members, this album does so much right. The introduction of Rick Wakeman on this album is truly felt, however, this can be said with every member from the band. Do yourself a favor and own this masterpiece. Dream on, on to the heart of the sunrise!

- 𝘛𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘳𝘦𝘷𝘪𝘦𝘸 𝘸𝘢𝘴 𝘰𝘳𝘪𝘨𝘪𝘯𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺 𝘸𝘳𝘪𝘵𝘵𝘦𝘯 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘗𝘳𝘰𝘨 𝘈𝘳𝘤𝘩𝘪𝘷𝘦𝘴 (http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=2536209)
siLLy puPPy
In 1971 YES was riding the prog wave by releasing not just one but two classics that year. After going through several lineup changes it was time for yet another. Tony Kaye was asked to leave the band for not wanting to adapt to the group’s ever expanding musical vision and incorporating more modern keyboard sounds to the mix and as a result the band scouted out Strawbs keyboardist Rick Wakeman cementing the band’s most famous and celebrated of lineups in their several decade career. Noticeably different between “The Yes Album” and FRAGILE is on the former it had a bluegrass and countrified feel at times whereas with the addition of the classically trained Wakeman, the emphasis is much more in the classical music arena but plenty of jazz related influences can be found as well especially in Bill Bruford's excellent drumming department.

This album marked huge success in the YES world. The album proved the power of prog and its holy progginess hit the top 10 on the Billboard album charts and even spawned a top 40 hit with “Roundabout.” FRAGILE also marks a new beginning with Roger Dean hopping on board to create his fantasy inspired artwork which would be a staple of the band throughout the 70s. Without doubt the album cover and title are inspired by the recently invented Earth Day and the global awareness of just how delicate and FRAGILE the life support systems on this planet can be.

The album does have one thing in common with “The Yes Album.” The four longer full band tracks alternate with five shorter tracks that each member of the band contributed as to give each member a glimpse into their musical vision that isn’t always apparent when melding in a band situation. The idea was conjured up more for a money saving one than an act of brilliance because it saved time and money in the recording process. Consequently the album may sound a little disjointed but after listening to this for years i have kinda come to the point where it is ok and i actually like the turbulent changes ranging from Wakeman’s Brahms cover (Cans And Brahms), to Anderson’s vocal dubbing fantasy (We Have Heaven), to Bruford’s 4/4 timing with proggy-to-the-max dressing (Five Per Cent For Nothing) and Howe’s beautiful classical guitar piece (Mood For A Day).

The longer tracks, “Roundabout,” “Long Distance Roundabout” and “Heart Of The Sunrise” have to be some of the most catchy sounding progressive music ever! Each delivers a different mood mixing beautiful melodies with hearty instrumental workouts. The new lineup melds well together and although this album could be deemed a rehearsal for the following more sophisticated albums, FRAGILE works wonderfully in its own right providing yet another transitory experience in the fluidity of YES’ ever-changing career. This is one of my first prog albums so it has that specialness attached as well, but even listening to it now with a more objective ear, it rings a uniqueness and warmth that very few other albums in history do.

• stefanbedna
  • ProgMetaller2112
  • Lynx33
  • historian9
  • chrijom

Fred Frith Trio with Lotte Anker and Susana Santos Silva : Road Jazz Related Improv/Composition
FRED FRITH
Bill McBirnie & Bruce Jones : Forever Latin Jazz
BILL MCBIRNIE

Code of Being
JAMES BRANDON LEWIS
Little Red Rooster (Live)
LUTHER ALLISON
Forever (feat. Bruce Jones)
BILL MCBIRNIE