Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jazz Listening how ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jazz Listening how ?
    Posted: 08 May 2011 at 6:23pm

Thought I would ask everybody how do you listen to a new or recent aquisition when you play it the first few times? Are you like me and a quick look at who is playing do not even bother looking at track names and just play it continous and really do not bother to start looking at titles and things to later, that is if it is any good, sometimes it can be the reverse so I can identify the track for the futureWink Names really do not mean much in a lot of Jazz titles for me." Moose the Mooche" by Charlie Parker. Moose was Charlie's current drug dealer. What about "A Night in Tunisia" by Dizzy Gillespie. Isn't it rated a one of Diz's best numbers with a Latin feel. Hang on Tunisia is in North Africa and aren't they Arabic. Confused That is what I mean but we all know what Jazz masterpieces they both are.Big smile

Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 6:38pm
Song names became a lot less important with the advent of the mix tape and mix CD. A lot of my music from the late 80s and on up are on tapes and CDs that are grouped by genre, but the track names and artists are unnoticed or unknown.
A lot of times I recognize the artist anyway.

Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 6:53pm
Well, I listen to mp3 files and cds. I watch what I listen to.

Edited by Prog Geo - 08 May 2011 at 6:54pm
triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 9:04pm
I generally don't pay attention to track names at first.  I usually don't even know which song is which until I've heard it half a dozen times, except for when a song really hits me right away, in which case I will at least note the name and often "love" it on last.fm.
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 9:33pm
Tracks titles don't really mean alot, in any genre IMO. Just something to distinguish certain melodies/structures/etc from other ones. I don't really care if it has anything to do with the song or not. If fact, I probably prefer to be something strange or unusual or just pleasent sounding. That said I do like song names...case in point that "A Night in Tunisia"...I like the sound of that...and I don't really care if its not arabian sounding or not. But i generally try to keep them straight to some degree.

But for the actual topic...I generally listen to new music on the computer or in the car. Obviously, while driving its very difficult to read/look at booklets and all that. Though I usually peruse it beforehand just to get the general idea (ie how long the songs are, how many songs there are). On the computer, I'll generally check when there is an extended pause to see what track is playing next, or if there is a particular exciting musical moment, I'll look to see what song it happened in.
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 9:48pm
As far as non-fusion/rock jazz goes, I'll listen to it once or twice, and maybe go a week before hearing it again (I like to listen to many different jazz albums, than listen to the same one multiple times in a short time span. I dont know why) It usually keeps the magic in an album for me.

Most titles for jazz songs mean nothing to me, unless they are humorous
Katje View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 10:22pm
Generally I don't take much notice of track names, often referring to songs off albums I've listened to for years as track 1, 2, 3, etcetera. On most occasions I'll come to know a song name when talking/recommending stuff on forums where I'll actively seek out information for the sake of clarity. Same goes for line-ups, despite this being a great way to find new artist, my inherent laziness usually reigns supreme.

Occasionally there are exceptions i.e. when I know the artist is known for thinking up entertaining titles. Most notably for me, Kevin Drumm (tho' half of his work is untitled) and Joe Colley, but they're noise musicians, so not applicable to this thread. In the Jazz realm Sam River's 'Mellifluous Cacophony' got stuck in my mind rather quickly.     
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 10:27pm
Back when I was getting into Miles Davis albums (for example), I would see what the lineup was, and it made my purchasing easier. It's harder with newer jazz albums as they don't always list the players on the front or back cover, but older albums usually showcase the lineups. Lineups are a big deal for me when it comes to jazz
ProgressiveAttic View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgressiveAttic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Back when I was getting into Miles Davis albums (for example), I would see what the lineup was, and it made my purchasing easier. It's harder with newer jazz albums as they don't always list the players on the front or back cover, but older albums usually showcase the lineups. Lineups are a big deal for me when it comes to jazz

Agree! You just have to see the lineups in Miles Davis' albums to know that you have a masterpiece in your hands
Michael's Sonic Kaleidoscope Mondays 5:00pm EST(re-runs Thursdays 3:00pm) @ Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio: http://www.deliciousagony.com
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 3:29am
Lately I'm finding it very enjoyable to throw on some jazz when I wake up; particularly 60s post-bop or hard bop.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 7:48am
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

Thought I would ask everybody how do you listen to a new or recent aquisition when you play it the first few times? Are you like me and a quick look at who is playing do not even bother looking at track names and just play it continous and really do not bother to start looking at titles and things to later, that is if it is any good, sometimes it can be the reverse so I can identify the track for the futureWink Names really do not mean much in a lot of Jazz titles for me." Moose the Mooche" by Charlie Parker. Moose was Charlie's current drug dealer. What about "A Night in Tunisia" by Dizzy Gillespie. Isn't it rated a one of Diz's best numbers with a Latin feel. Hang on Tunisia is in North Africa and aren't they Arabic. Confused That is what I mean but we all know what Jazz masterpieces they both are.Big smile

given that I choose my jazz albums by the musician list as my criteria #1 along with the recording date into discovering a new (to me) album... I can't help but looking at it... Wink

but in way too many cases, track names are rather unimportant in instrumental jazz  (except for Carr , Ardley and Collier, who were well-read) , I only take one quick look at them and if no covers are in there.... it really tends to become a secondary issue.... Mainly because the composers always found the track name after its composition.... some never really paying attention to it as well (I think some even considered it , jokingly or not, a chore)

In Impulse!'s New Thing a lot of these track names where North African-related (namely Eguptian), but the musical feeling was not particulary Arabic, nreither were the Afro-Americans related closely to semitic populations.... In the civil rights protests, some of these blacks embraced Islam (read Malcolm X as the main trendsetter), probably as a reactionary measure to counter Whitey's Christianism.... and they (the jazzers into New Thing built their mythology from then on...  

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 8:15am
Yeah, me too. I usually follow a certain line-up or leader and elements of a line-up, and actually hear most albums on headphones first, before switching to a stereo.  I attempt to listen to the album start to finish in first sitting, but this is difficult, so I invariably have to start again several times before getting that many free consecutive minutes.
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic