JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Big Band Standards

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Big Band Standards
    Posted: 07 May 2024 at 9:41am
I would check with the band leader at the school you are going to, he probably has things to recommend. You covered the classic with Ellington, Basie and Mingus. Dizzy Gillespie Big Band is another classic.
You might want to look into something current like Wynton Marsalis and Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra. Having said all that, my experience playing in big bands is somewhat limited, I'm a keyboard player and played some big band music in college, but nothing since then.  When I was in school, college big bands were very much into Thad Jones and Mel Lewis. 

Edited by js - 07 May 2024 at 9:59am
InsaneEvilLogan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InsaneEvilLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2024 at 9:35am
Hi all! This is my first post on the forum and I'm sort of migratory bird from saxontheweb.com
I'm a Baritone saxophonist, been playing for about 3 years and going to college in a couple months. I feel like there are a plethora of people that call themselves intermediate but are well within the beginner category. At least in my opinion, I think an intermediate level player should be able to hang with other cats and make it through a gig comfortably. I would say I have just recently reached that level, but I absolutely know I have a ton more learning to do!
Which is actually the purpose of this post. My question is what are the biggest Big Band Jazz Standards that would be good to start learning over the summer to improve my big band chart reading ability, a very often used skill in college I've heard.
Some albums I've thought of in this vein are;
- Basie Straight Ahead
- The Atomic Mr. Basie
- Masterpieces by Ellington
- Gunslinging Birds - Mingus Big Band
Do yall have any more suggestions? I'm sort of looking for full albums but if you have specific songs or really just think Woody Herman as an artist deserves study or something, let me know! Thank you guysssss! :D
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic