2 [25.00%]
2 [25.00%]
1 [12.50%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Food Fight!
    Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 10:44pm
Here are some of my favorite cuisines, whats yours?
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 10:47pm
Italian for me, but only because I've eaten Italian food in Italy - and only Mexican here in Oz, so I feel like I should judge after eating in both countries?

( repost from me Smile )

Edited by dreadpirateroberts - 22 Mar 2013 at 10:47pm
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 10:56pm
There's a lot of variety in Mexican food by region. Most Americans know Tex Mex, but the coastal Mexican food is lighter with more seafood and fruit/vegetable elements.

I agree that Italian food is much better in Italy. there it is fresher and more oriented towards bright colored vegetables, American-Italian food is less healthy and more heavy and filling.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 2:53am
Know almost all from list but Southern US. Voted for Italian, not strange - Italians are known as food gods.

I spent a lot of time around Italy so I can compare authentic cuisine and that around Europe/Near East. I really ate fantastic spaghetti or lasagna here in Vilnius, in Scottish Aberdeen, Amsterdam or on Cyprus. And I have a long memories of disappointments having expensive dinner in tourists-populated places around Italy.

With Italian cuisine main rules are two:

1) If you're in Italy avoid tourist places at any price and try to stay for dinner in small provincial town in family run restaurant

2) Outside of Italy search for restaurant owned by original Italian ( better - newcomer for the country, who grew up in Italy)

Living decade ago in Aberdeen I was surprised by strange (Middle East) taste of dishes in Italian restaurant (advertised as only original Italian restaurant in town). The owner liked to meet clients on the door speaking mish-mash of Italian and English words. When one day we visited the place with my Italian friends and they naturally started to speak with him in Italian, after very few sentences he said he doesn't speak Italian, and he's of Iranian origin. He asked my friends do not open his secret (this restaurant was beloved place between young Aberdonian housewives waiting their husbands from weeks working on gas sea rigs)and we got Italian/Iranian dinner for free   

Edited by snobb - 23 Mar 2013 at 2:54am
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 3:48am
I like very much Chinese food that you eat in China or Taiwan, not the imitations and inventions that you eat in Chinese restaurants across the world
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 3:41pm
I'll take the easy way out... mediterranean cuisine: which includes greek, lebanese, Italian, Spanish, maghreb (Tinisia to Morrocco), and French

BTW, one should be careful in some Northern European countries... italian restaurants are often not run by Italians, but Morroccans/Egyptians or Lebanese

I voted Mexican (which can include Tex-Mex)...

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 10:50pm
I do like Italian the best, but major props to Thai. Have a good place in town that I should go to more often than I do.
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2013 at 10:45pm
I love Indian foods!!!
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2013 at 10:48pm
I'm kind of surprised I didn't put Indian on there, must have forgotten.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2013 at 10:53pm
There are a lot of restaurants of the Asian area in Japan. It is a Thai dish and a shop such as the Vietnamese food. The shop provides full-scale taste, but I like Indian foods personally. Seasoning and the alcohol are splendid.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2013 at 10:59pm
Kingfisher Beer!    Big smile          ...big bottles Shocked
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2013 at 11:05pm
Kingfisher Beer! Big smile LOL And the rum from India is good. Thumbs Up
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2013 at 8:16pm
I guess Greek/Middle East is what I usually refer to as "Mediterranean"? 

I am all for it - less, perhaps, the sugar-drenched deserts. 

Plus smoked trout and pickled green tomatoes. Life would be a sad waste of time without smoked trout and green pickled tomatoes. 
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 3:11am
^ I expect your choice should be more Italian than Greek/Middle East, at least "Mediterranean" is usually umbrella for Italian, Dalmatian and other South European coastal cuisine. Greek food is close but more spicy and in many cases more fat and salty, trout is associated really with Mediterranean,not Greek ( probably goat cheese is Greek cuisine trade mark). Middle East is even more spicy, less fresh vegetables, much heavily cooked, more fat and salt, no trouts or any fish. More lamb 
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 7:28am
^ Yes, I am aware of the regional differences, and am familiar with the food one can get in Italy (as opposed to commercialized "Italian food"), at least in its Northern half.

I believe sheep cheese (rather than goat cheese) is more prominent in the original Greek cuisine.

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 10:00am
For the Greek/Mid east category I was thinking feta cheese, hummus, falafel, slow cooked lamb on a rack, pita bread, olives, rice wrapped in grape leaves, yogurt with mint etc.
Italian has some similarities, but its different.

Edited by js - 27 Oct 2013 at 10:02am
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 10:16am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

For the Greek/Mid east category I was thinking feta cheese, hummus, falafel, slow cooked lamb on a rack, pita bread, olives, rice wrapped in grape leaves, yogurt with mint etc.
Italian has some similarities, but its different.

Yep, but for the complete picture add Greek/Turkish/Balkan moussaka and/or any dish, based on roasted/sautéed peppers + eggplants + tomatoes + onions , and don't leave out Italian frutti di mare 
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 1:29am
Mexican food for me. Love it Cool
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic